Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corny to cask conversion?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Corny to cask conversion?
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:33:55 pm »
Gonna have a little party and was gonna use my 3 gal keg for a make shift cask. Has anyone had a problem or think it would be a problem with the keg leaking while on its side because of the lack of pressure on the lid ?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Corny to cask conversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »
I've seen it done where the tap is hooked up to the gas post and a breather (liquid disconnect and tube) is put on the liquid post. The keg is laid on it's side with the gas post on the bottom and the other end raised slightly. I think as long as the keg seals well (without pressure) it will be fine. I considered doing this for a party once, but wigged out and brought CO2.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:08:59 pm »
Gonna have a little party and was gonna use my 3 gal keg for a make shift cask. Has anyone had a problem or think it would be a problem with the keg leaking while on its side because of the lack of pressure on the lid ?

Why would there be no pressure on the lid if its on its side?  as i understand it there should be outward pressure on the entire container not just the part facing up, no?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »

Why would there be no pressure on the lid if its on its side?  as i understand it there should be outward pressure on the entire container not just the part facing up, no?

The keg won't be pressurized at all. I have a couple kegs that have lids that I have to pull on the latch while applying CO2 pressure to get the lids to seal. Those kegs probably wouldn't be good candidates for the makeshift cask thing.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »
Oh!!!! it wont be carbed.  time to stop drinking for the night!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:39 pm »
Well, it would start carbed, but once it's tapped there would be no pressure. Although there would be some pressure from the weight of the liquid on the lid. But it's easy to test first, just fill the keg with water and turn it upside down.  Some shops also sell fatter, softer keg lid O-rings which might help. They're supposed to help seal around dents and scratches.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »
Put water I and try. If it doesn't leak out, then you should be fine.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:11:24 pm »
Keg lube

cornershot

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »
+1 to keg lube. Or any lube, for that matter!
mtnrockhopper, thanks for the tip on the fat, soft o-rings. I'd like to have a couple of those in my arsenal.
I have installed spacers in the little end caps on the latch on a corny to pull the lid tighter. I've also tweaked the ends of the latch with vice grips to get it to pull the lid tighter.
I'm sure it will seal reasonably well enough to get a 3 gallon cask through a party without a mess.

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:21:45 am »
If your using a picnic tap as long as the tap is below the keg it will work like a siphon just use gas to start then open relief valve. Its hokey but works.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:34:49 am »
If your using a picnic tap as long as the tap is below the keg it will work like a siphon just use gas to start then open relief valve. Its hokey but works.

I've been trying to put my finger on this since this thread appeared. now I feel stupid. Thanks for beating me to it.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce