Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calling All Metallurgists!  (Read 5222 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Calling All Metallurgists!
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:54:38 am »
I just bought 12# of hops from Hops Direct and plan to experiment with MAJOR dry hopping.  To help submerge them, I bought 2 x 2" chrome steel ball bearings.  My question is if anyone knows how E52100 chrome steel does in beer?  From what I could find, it should be fine but throwing it out to the group.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Calling All Metallurgists!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:02:07 am »
If I recall correctly, two types of metal + acid = battery. So my guess is you're ok so long as there is no other type of metal in there, and no scratch through the chrome. But I'd wait and see what the resident experts say.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:08:08 am »
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:17:40 am »
I weigh my nylon paint bags down with either sanitized marbles or ball bearings (or metal nuts occasionally).  I've never detected any adverse effects.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:58:26 am »
I'm not a metallurgical Engineer, but an Engineer, so here foes.

These are made of a Chrome Steel used for ball bearings. The chrome content is 1% or so, and the carbon content is there to make it hard and tough for the high bearing loads.

Stainless has 10% or more Chrome. 304 SS that most of us have in our set ups is 18-20% chrome so the it is "rust free".

With the lower chrome content it may be best to put one in a glass of beer for a week or whatever length you will dry hop with and see what happens. If it comes out pristine then you are good to go, if you see corrosion then you need a plan B. I use some 304 SS elbows and nipples that are not in use for my dry hop weights. I also have some glass marbles that are also used.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:16:47 am »
Or you could just skip the weights.  I've never found them to make enough difference to be worth using.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:31:07 am »
With the lower chrome content it may be best to put one in a glass of beer for a week or whatever length you will dry hop with and see what happens. If it comes out pristine then you are good to go, if you see corrosion then you need a plan B. I use some 304 SS elbows and nipples that are not in use for my dry hop weights. I also have some glass marbles that are also used.

Jeff, not a bad idea.  I'll give that a try.  I should have thought about the piping but just wanted to order something when I bought all the hops!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:13:03 pm »
FWIW, on the times I use chrome bearings as weights, they come out pristine.  I usually use glass marbles though.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
FWIW, on the times I use chrome bearings as weights, they come out pristine.  I usually use glass marbles though.

Good to know.  I'll report back on the bearings in beer test.  Starting today and back from a work trip on Thursday.  Perfect timing....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:40:23 am »
Weigh the hop bag down with hot stones and make a hoppy steinbier.  ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:29 am »
OK, beer turned black and so did the bearings.  Can I put them in to a zip lock and go that route or was that just a $30 experiment gone awfully wrong???   :'(
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:10 am »
And really glad I posted and got your advice Jeff.  That would have ruined a good beer and a lot of hops.......
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 09:03:25 am »
And really glad I posted and got your advice Jeff.  That would have ruined a good beer and a lot of hops.......
Wow.  I'm glad I didn't use the ones you have, Dave.  I'm assuming mine are SS but not chrome plated which would make sense, because that clearly never happened to my beers. Better in a glass of beer than the entire batch though. I'd just go with marbles then . I use 8 or 10 and it's plenty to sink alot of hops. I dry hop pretty heavily.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 09:12:28 am »
OK, beer turned black and so did the bearings.  Can I put them in to a zip lock and go that route or was that just a $30 experiment gone awfully wrong???   :'(

Yes, but how did it taste?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:20 am »
Wow.  I'm glad I didn't use the ones you have, Dave.  I'm assuming mine are SS but not chrome plated which would make sense, because that clearly never happened to my beers. Better in a glass of beer than the entire batch though. I'd just go with marbles then . I use 8 or 10 and it's plenty to sink alot of hops. I dry hop pretty heavily.

Yea, the chrome level is way too low now that I look at it.  I'm not giving up though!  I'm thinking about setting them in lucite or something similar or wrapping them in WaterWeld. 
Dave Zach