Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Choosing The Right Brewpot  (Read 5488 times)

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
Re: Choosing The Right Brewpot
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
> I don't understand why in the world anyone needs a thermometer on a boil kettle. 

I do infusion mashes in beverage coolers, so I use the thermometer to tell when my mash water is the right temp before transfer.

> And we see the effects of not properly caring for an aluminum pot.  To my knowledge, there is no need to sanitize a kettle and there is no need to remove anything more than the trub with a scrubby.  Sorry for your loss.

If it was Star San I left in there (could've been PBW for multiple days, I can't remember now), it was only temporary storage in-between cleaning tasks. Purely ignorance on my part. I wanted a bigger kettle with a ball valve anyway, so it gave me the opportunity to upgrade.

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 06:52:36 pm »
For those conducting BIAB in their kettle, clearly a thermometer is needed.  Wouldn't a kettle-mounted probe get in the way of the bag?

I was using a 8 gal kettle for a 3.5 gal BIAB batch. I had no problems with the probe during dough in, while stirring or removing the bag. It is really a very nice way to do BIAB.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
Bayou Classic does a nice SS 15gallon kettle that yuou can buy for less then 100 Dollars on amazon etc.  Mine works well and will be translating into my new 3 vessel setup since it can handle 10g boils.

Not sure if links are allowed. if not please remove.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXD94A/ref=oh_details_o02_s04_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »
This is similar to what I used to use.  Worked fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/60-COMMERCIAL-ALUMINUM-STOCK-POT/dp/B000IRRPZI

I stopped using it because I went bigger.  Bought a 102 qt SS Bayou Classic off craiglist for $80.

There is no reason to not buy Aluminum.  Cheap (compared to SS), light, and easy to work with.  For cleaning you just need soapy water.  I would recommend buying the thick walled pots -- 4mm or 6mm I believe.  There is the potential for melting if the heat is absurdly high....but I never ran into this in 50+ batches.

As Martin said dont use abrasive cleaners....and why would you sanitize anything before the boil?