Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trying to figure out if home brewing is for me  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Trying to figure out if home brewing is for me
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:31:10 pm »
After reading this thread im pretty sure i can state that brewing is for you.  you just need to find your niche.  Krieks, lambics and sours are a neat little side that can be very fruity.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/599/

Find something you like the sound of and brew er up, if you dont like it just remember friends love homebrew, it will disappear faster then you can imagine.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

cornershot

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:14 pm »
What about people who don't let the carrots touch the potatoes? Stew must drive them crazy.

I wanna comment on this but I just can't find the words. I'm utterly dumbfounded. Can't stop giggling. Tears burning eyes....

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:02 am »
In time I would not be surprised to see you come back around asking for help figuring out how to make beer.

You may also find the Lindemans, Timmermans and St. Louis fruit lambics within the kind of beers you like to drink. They are strong on the fruit flavor and sweet but there is a different beer character to it. Basically anything fruit plus wheat beer is probably also something you may like, such as Pyramid Apricot Ale. I'd also be interested in seeing your thoughts on a fruitless beer with a lot of fruit flavor, like a well made dubbel.

But if you like DIY stuff then you will probably enjoy the brewing process regardless of what kind of beverage you make, so long as you enjoy what you make.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mosinnagant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 09:07:15 am »
......But if you like DIY stuff then you will probably enjoy the brewing process regardless of what kind of beverage you make, so long as you enjoy what you make.

I do believe this is what brought me here :)  I'm always trying to find a way to DYI, as it means more than just buying or replacing something, when you have some of yourself in it.  Plus, knowledge is almost always helpful, and you can't get that as much when purchased.  I guess that's why they don't sell degrees, you have to earn them.

As for the other types of beers that have been suggested, I've never tried those.  I think that's what I'm going to have to do first, is try a commercial version, to see what kind of homebrew I want to make.  Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be checking those out! :)

Offline mosinnagant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 10:50:23 am »
I think for the price, and what is included, this kit is probably the best place to start: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1-gallon-small-batch-starter-kit-1.html

If the included beer turns out ok, I'll add-on as money allows.  This is probably as big as I'll ever need, but a good cheap place to start learning.  Hopefully good for cider making too.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 06:19:08 pm »
Honestly you can get 5 gallon kits with the same contents for about 100 bucks(200 if you get a glass carboy), and all the gear you purchase wont need to be upgraded if you choose to get further into the hobby.  The average 5 gallon batch will give you 48-60 bottles and can be kept for 2-3 with next to no issue on all styles.  It disappears quicks man, id hate to see you waste 50 bucks int he wrong direction if you need to just replace everything anyway.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!