Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Madame Figrao  (Read 2164 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Madame Figrao
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:24 am »
Here's a video of me in Madame Figaro (it's the French/Le Figaro equivalent of the NY Times' Sunday Magazine) talking about homebrewing... near the end: http://madame.lefigaro.fr/recettes/videos-chef/biere-qui-roule-041013-604770

Part of it is sponsored by Heineken. I had no idea when they did the filming that the "beer expert" (Bierologue) would be a Heineken shill. He talks about how great Pelforth, Heineken, and Desperados (basically Bud Lite Lime) are. A friend gave me the complement that 'at least there was one guy who knew what he was talking about.'
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Madame Figrao
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:42:44 am »
You're a star, Phil!  Very cool!  Watched the whole thing.  My French sucks these days, but it was interesting none the less.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:06:28 am »
Cool.  I couldn't understand either...maybe Paris homebrew club ;)... but very much enjoyed your choice in glassware at the end.

Nice touch.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:44:59 am »
50 new breweries are opening a year in France?!  Did I get that right?  Looks like the beer scene is much improving.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:05 am »
50 new breweries are opening a year in France?!  Did I get that right?  Looks like the beer scene is much improving.

I dunno where they got their numbers, and most of these breweries are opening because of the new 'autoentrepreneur' work status which "allows" you to have a side job. I would not be surprised if most of these breweries are of dubious quality. I know that mine is (I did the autoentrepreneur thing for Doughboy and we have made exactly no beer).

It's certainly easier to start a brewery here because there are very very few health regulations. And you can see that in the beer that gets made. Lots of infection, lots of 'hot' from lack of fermentation temp control. I know a brewer who sells a decent amount of beer here, he ferments in plastic carboys in his non-temperature-controlled attic.

Having said that, there are some really great breweries popping up these days. The other guys just need to get the education.
----

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 09:15:41 am »
Maybe I should move back to France since it is easier to open a brewery there than in Illinois!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:40:58 am »
Awesome! My French is pretty bad, but was very cool to see you in action. :)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:19:42 am »
Thanks guys!
----