Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More Beer in Pittsbugh  (Read 2986 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
More Beer in Pittsbugh
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:00 pm »
So when did Morebeer open a warehouse in Pittsburgh? This is great news! I love their free shipping for $60 orders, but could never order yeast from California. Does anybody know if it's just a shipping warehouse or is it a store as well?
Frank

Offline lupulinmax

• 1st Kit
Re: More Beer in Pittsbugh
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:48:00 pm »
I learned of their East coast presence at NHC and then saw it on their website.  Just warehouse at this time per their FAQ.  Stuff comes really fast now.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »
Yeah I bought my chiller from them a little over a year ago... Took about ten days to get here from Cali... But no big deal since it was a chiller. Being just a little over an hours drive from Pittsbugh, I would assume that time would be cut lol. I just ordered my ingredients for my pumpkin beer and winter warmer... Which included a couple vials of yeast... So we'll see
Frank

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:07:26 pm »
I think it's just a warehouse at this point, an east coast shipping point.  I ordered from them today.  I'll see how long free shipping takes.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »
Yeah... It says 1-2 business days to ship. That doesn't concern me too much. It's the actual ship time. What I do like about FedEx is that they ship on Saturdays. Nothing's worse when you expect your yeast to be delivered on Friday and you have a note on the door to sign and the yeast ends up sitting in the shipping depot all weekend lol
Frank

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:24:53 am »
They opened at the beginning of July.  I placed an order with them (for a total of $59.11...just over the free shipping requirement) and got my order in 2 days. 

In the past, I ordered from the California shop and it usually took a few days just to get the order out of the warehouse.  I ordered during the week and was going away for the weekend, but I figured it would take a few days so I'd be safe.  Wouldn't you know it, the order was delivered on Saturday, and had yeast and hops in it.  Luckily I tracked it and had my neighbor bring it in from the 90F heat.

In the past, I was always reluctant to buy from More Beer because of the time it took to get an order, but they definitely impressed me this time. Let's hope they can continue this trend!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:53:13 am »
So when did Morebeer open a warehouse in Pittsburgh? This is great news! I love their free shipping for $60 orders, but could never order yeast from California. Does anybody know if it's just a shipping warehouse or is it a store as well?

isn't your yeast coming from California anyway? or Oregon?

** actually lallemand is all over the place**
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 12:50:12 pm »
I recently had an order that was filled from both places and they told me it would be right up front, so they don't fully stock both places - but I received (I'm 40 miles outside Chicago) the Pittsburgh shipment in 2 days and the California shipment in 3 days.  I was impressed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:47 pm »

isn't your yeast coming from California anyway? or Oregon?

** actually lallemand is all over the place**

True, but I would assume that when large shipments are sent to east coast suppliers like LD Carlson, they would be chilled in shipment better than the ice packs that stay cool for 6 hours sent from HBS.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:18:15 pm »
Ok, I placed the order Monday evening. I got shipment confirmation at 3:45 yesterday afternoon. It was here when I got home from work today. I'd say that's pretty quality!
Frank

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:26 am »
The order I placed last night split my order between CA and PA.  So we'll see how quickly things get here.  The yeast was listed as coming from Cali but the ice pack was supposed to come from PA so hopefully they manage to figure out how sync those up.  :o

Last two times I ordered from them though I got things within 2 days of clicking the button.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01:53 am »
Placed another order with Morebeer on Friday (10/11), got a shipping notification about 3 hours later and it will be at my house today.  Another great order.

I am, however, starting to see some items out of stock in Pittsburgh...causing my order to be split.  This time I was able to get around it by getting milled grain instead of unmilled.  I assume they are milling some grain ahead of time, but they seal their bags well so I'm not worried.  I would just like to see things kept in stock a little more...things just take too long to get to me from California.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:00 am »
I've never ordered from MoreBeer before, but I was looking for a sack of grain and the price difference in shipping from MoreBeer compared to NB or Rebel was considerable. I'm assuming that this is largely because the PA location is much closer to me. I ordered online after hours on Thursday, got my shipping notice Friday morning, and my sack is on the FedEx truck en route to my house as we speak.

Great turnaround time. I think I'll be ordering from them a lot more often as time goes on.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer