Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blow out plus removed lid  (Read 7700 times)

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
  • need help on first brew
Blow out plus removed lid
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:54:05 am »
I'm new to homebrewing and made my first batch on Saturday woke up Sunday and it was looking good. Few hrs later hD blow out took airlock off to fixed then like a dummp took lid off have I destroyed my first of many batches I'm so angry right now I just wanna throw it out and start again Saturday....HELP anyone
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Blow out plus removed lid
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:12 am »
Relax.  Your beer will likely be just fine.  Look into keeping the temps down during fermentation by using a tub of water and a cotton shirt or towel.  For what it's worth there are breweries that use open fermenters intentionally, but you risk contamination by prolonged exposure of that sort.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:44 am »
You also may want to look into getting a blowoff tube for your fermenter for the first few days. I don't know how big the bucket you are fermenting in is, but get a 3-4 foot long tube that will fit in the grommet, and run it into a bucket of sanitizer.

Your beer will be fine, and RDWHAHB or Commercial brew in your case. :)

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:17:56 am »
Its Deluxe Brew kits...and I will keep that in mind when I go back this weekend to get my next beer kit
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:45:53 am »
I certainly hope you didn't toss out this batch of beer just because the lid came off.  There's plenty of CO2 generated during the initial fermentation to keep out anything harmful.  Sanitize the lid and put it back on when the fermentation calms down.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:22 am »
I certainly hope you didn't toss out this batch of beer just because the lid came off.  There's plenty of CO2 generated during the initial fermentation to keep out anything harmful.  Sanitize the lid and put it back on when the fermentation calms down.
+1.  Should be fine.
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:30:17 am »
Just speculating, you may not have cooled the wort enough, i.e., into the 60s F, before you pitched your yeast.

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:36:06 am »
+1.  Should be fine.
[/quote

No I didn't throw it out since it has clamed down you think its safe for me to take it off and sanitize it and put it back on.
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:03:48 am »
+1.  Should be fine.
[/quote

No I didn't throw it out since it has clamed down you think its safe for me to take it off and sanitize it and put it back on.

yeah, it'll be fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:07 am »
Will it be better if I ferment it a 2nd time in a glass Carboy for a couple more weeks
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:21:46 am »
Will it be better if I ferment it a 2nd time in a glass Carboy for a couple more weeks

nope. leave it alone until it is done (meaning two gravity readings about a week apart are the same) then package.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 10:02:42 am »
So I did one on Saturday do another one on Thursday then can I transfer to the carboy for 2nd fermentation. ..I really appreciate all this help
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:21 am »
So I did one on Saturday do another one on Thursday then can I transfer to the carboy for 2nd fermentation. ..I really appreciate all this help

I would get another bucket instead. or do a smaller batch Thursday and primary that one in the carboy. Transferring doesn't really gain you anything most of the time and it is a pain in the butt.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »
Mort, I think he means he did a reading and will do another reading...To the OP -  just leave it be once you have the blow off issue resolved.  Most or at least quite a few of us don't move the beer from primary until it is done.  Then we prime and bottle or otherwise package.  Basically, transferring once, if possible, twice, if you count the bottling bucket for bottlers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 02:04:35 pm »
Mort, I think he means he did a reading and will do another reading...To the OP -  just leave it be once you have the blow off issue resolved.  Most or at least quite a few of us don't move the beer from primary until it is done.  Then we prime and bottle or otherwise package.  Basically, transferring once, if possible, twice, if you count the bottling bucket for bottlers.

ahh that makes sense. I figured he was just going in whole hog and planning brew number two for Thursday (which is not a bad idea by the way. when you get into that first batch in a few weeks your going to want another post haste)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce