Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blow out plus removed lid  (Read 7697 times)

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
  • need help on first brew
Re: Blow out plus removed lid
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 02:12:27 pm »
Got it thanks gentlemen
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
You want to do 2 Final Gravity measurements. I believe you stated you brewed this on Saturday, and took a reading on Saturday, which would be original gravity (OG). I would leave it in the Bucket for 2 weeks, then take two gravity readings 3-4 days apart minimum (FG), and make sure they are the same, and then bottle. Don't worry about a secondary. I agree with brewing again as soon as possible if you have the space for multiple fermenters.

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
I came home and no fermentation and bubbles in airlock. I have a tight seal what should I do gravity is the same as gravity when I brewed on Saturday. ...help beer seem to taste ok when I did gravity read and it read 5...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:42:28 pm by newbrewe9 »
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:11:49 pm »
Relax. The beer will be fine. It is only Tuesday. If you had a blowoff, you have had fermentation, the yeast may be finishing up and settling out. If you fermented quite hot (as may be insinuated based on the blowoff) the bulk of fermentation may be over.

You stated that the gravity is 5. Which scale are you reading?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »
I dont know if anyone has stated this so i will.

Beer doesnt have a schedule.  for the most part it takes 2 weeks to full ferment.  if you are worrying before half that time, you are worrying about nothing.  just relax, grab a beer, read some forums and other beer related literature and realize that its just not ready yet.  also from this point if the majority of your fermentation is done, probably a good idea to leave the lid on, as the more you take it off, the higher the risk of potential issues.

TLDR - waiting game;)

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:46 am »
So when should I transfer to second fermentation on Saturday the reading was the same as Saturday when I brewed it
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:14:35 am »
So when should I transfer to second fermentation on Saturday the reading was the same as Saturday when I brewed it

I wouldn't transfer to a secondary.  Just leave it in the primary. 

Can you take a picture of your next gravity reading and post it here?  I'm confused by this discussion starting out with a blow off event and now hearing you are not seeing any decrease in your gravity readings.  I don't see how those 2 things could happen simultaneously.  The blow off was caused by the yeast going on a sugar binge so your gravity reading should be lower.

I apologize if I missed a section of the thread where you brewed a second beer.  The standard "first brew" response still is in effect either way: Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Hombrew (in this case a beer).  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:16 am »
I will but, won't know how to upload it I'm a lil tech dummy with certian things.
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:06 am »

What was the temperature of the wort when you took the first reading?  Did you correct the first reading for temperature?

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
I thought it said 5 but, I might be wrong due to the foam.
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:15 am »
When looking at a hydrometer you want to use the specific gravity scale.  An average strength beer will have an original gravity of about 1.050 plus or minus a few points.  So "5" doesn't really mean much.  As fermentation proceeds, the number will go down and end up around 1.010 plus or minus a few points, depending on lots of things.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:20 am »
Here's a Northern Brewer video on how to read a hydrometer.  It's a good place to start if you are having troubles taking readings.   If you haven't had any chemistry (or it was a really long time ago like it was for me) the video is a quick intro with visual examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNVePBvI2ps

Paul

Offline newbrewe9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 11:46:33 am »
Thank you for that video...my wort wasn't the temp is was suppose to be I guess that's why I had a blow out...so my reading was and probably off...so how can I figure if it ready or ok. Sorry for all the questions just trying to be a good home brewer
Eddie NewBrewer9 Johnson

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 01:21:58 pm »
Thank you for that video...my wort wasn't the temp is was suppose to be I guess that's why I had a blow out...so my reading was and probably off...so how can I figure if it ready or ok. Sorry for all the questions just trying to be a good home brewer

asking questions is how we learn.

You will know when it's done when two gravity readings a few days (3-5) apart are the same. This means the yeast have finished eating all the sugar they are capable of eating and have stopped making new alcohol. At this point you can wait another few days so that the yeast can finish up with some other work they have to do in there and you can package.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:04 pm »
+1 What Mort said.

I know it sounds like a cliche but we all had to learn to relax when it comes to getting the beer finished too.

My first beer didn't have a blow off problem but I hovered over it every day.  Worrying and wondering if it was doing what it was supposed to be doing.  I probably transferred it the secondary at least a week early and then bottled as soon as I could see some light through it.  My brother came to visit the day after I bottled and he insisted on tasting one.  Needless to say it was flat and chewy and wasn't very good at that point.  Four weeks later, I chilled a bottle down and tried it again.  What a world of difference time made on the beer. 

When I look back, it wasn't a great beer but it was beer and I made it, so it was awesome!! 

It would take too long to tell the story of every mistake I've made.  I've learned from each one and still completely bomb a batch now and then (198 batches so far). 

Start your second beer as soon as you have your fermenter available.  The process will seem much easier and the ambient air temp should have come down a bit too.  Look into ways to get your wort temp down below 70F before you pitch your yeast (for ales) and you'll do fine.

Paul