General Category > Going Pro

Trench Drain Plan

(1/5) > >>

Pawtucket Patriot:
Hey guys,

We're working with our architect on our production-area floor-plan right now.  We've got a lot of things figured out, but we're still trying to sort out a trench drain plan.  I've got some ideas, and I've done a lot of research, but there doesn't seem to be any rule of thumb for this.

For you guys who are currently in production, do you have any suggestions?  Anything you'd do differently in hindsight?  I'm posting a drawing of our proposed production floor-plan so you can get an idea of the layout.  I'm also posting my ideas for trench drains.  You'll notice that I'm thinking of doing a round drain in the brewhouse area.

Cheers!

Matt

tschmidlin:
Is that round floor drain in a convenient location for the plumbing?  Why not slant that floor towards the trench drain by the fermenters, and/or extend the trench a bit?  The location shown seems a bit inconvenient for squeegeeing.  Also, I would want the floor sloped all of the way to the wall behind the fermenters so you don't have a shelf there to hold water.

Speaking of the fermenters - why not move them closer to the wall?  It will give you more room for access in the front, which you will do a lot, at the expense of space in the back which you will rarely access.  Position the glycol fittings on either the front side or on the back/side so you can access them by ducking between the bottom cones and then standing up in the dead space.

Things I would do differently in hindsight - have a floor that slants towards the floor drain ;)

VinS:
Matt, I cant tell by picture but how far do you have to cart your spent grain. I know the few breweries I've been to there mash tun isnt far from a loading dock or a garage door.

hopfenundmalz:
At the Oakland NHC, the going Pro discussion ramped off on floors and drains for quite a bit. Ken Grossman said he had written up guidelines on floors and drains. Might be on the Brewers Association site somewhere.

Tom - I remember Vinnie C. saying that his floors did not drain, and would have to redo someday.

The take away is that this mundane subject is important, and get it right early.

denny:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on October 16, 2013, 10:23:09 AM ---At the Oakland NHC, the going Pro discussion ramped off on floors and drains for quite a bit. Ken Grossman said he had written up guidelines on floors and drains. Might be on the Brewers Association site somewhere.

Tom - I remember Vinnie C. saying that his floors did not drain, and would have to redo someday.

The take away is that this mundane subject is important, and get it right early.

--- End quote ---

It's important even for homebrewers.  When I rebuilt my garage for brewing, the first thing I planned for was a sloped floor and floor drain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version