Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Airlock activity in secondary  (Read 3403 times)

Offline dsherburn

• 1st Kit
Airlock activity in secondary
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:22:24 pm »
I did a BIAB (simple Pale Ale) 5 gallon batch three weeks ago. After a week in the primary, the SG was 1.010 (about where it should have been). I transferred to a secondary and it's been there for two weeks. I have activity in the airlock. Is it just CO2 escaping or did I transfer from the primary before the fermentation was complete?

I have another batch (Porter) and the airlock on the secondary is quiet.

Offline mdbrew

• 1st Kit
Re: Airlock activity in secondary
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:30:29 pm »
The best way to confirm that fermentation is complete is by taking gravity readings over a 2-3 day period.  If the S.G. remains constant, then you know it's complete. Airlock activity could be from escaping CO2, as you pointed out.  I've only been brewing for about 8 months and I always have to remind myself to ignore the airlock and test the S.G. too.  Good luck!
Primary: n/a
Secondary: English Bitter
Bottled: Rogue Dead Guy Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Cream Ale, Octoberfest
Next up: Doppelbock

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »
There's more to yeast than converting sugar to alcohol. One is acetaldehyde. It gives beer a green apple flavor. If it's real strong it can smell and taste like a latex exam glove. Gravity can be bottomed out but it may still need time for the yeast to finish converting these monsters to good stuff. Most folks don't use a secondary anymore. Your test should be for stable terminal gravity but also odor and taste tested that acetaldehyde is gone. For me that's usually three to four weeks.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:25 pm »
It's pretty common to see bubbles after fermentation is done because of escaping CO2, but you can't be sure without taking the gravity. I leave it in primary for about a week after fermentation finishes.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »
Agreed on taking hydrometer readings - 3 identical readings over successive days and you can be confident that fermentation is done.  Unless I'm making a wheat beer I rarely keg a beer in under a month.  As Jim said, leaving a beer on the yeast a little past the point fermentation stops will let the yeast, in essence, clean up after itself by getting rid of off flavors/aromas that often end up in beer if you rush things. Unless you make a very high OG beer, a fruit beer, or choose to dry hop in secondary (I do), racking to secondary is not necessary, and can be detrimental.
Jon H.