Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gorgeous Brew Day  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Gorgeous Brew Day
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:04 pm »
I should have taken the day off to brew. It's far too nice outside this late in the year to be stuck in the office. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 03:41:27 pm »
I can only see two from my house. Hood is about 50 miles away. Adams is about 20. From a hill south of my place you can see Rainier Adams St Helens Hood and Jefferson

Definitely jealous, from someone who grew up in sight of Wy'east (Hood) and Loowit (Helens). Up here in Seattle we only get Tacoma (Rainier), and Kulshan (Baker) if you've got a good north view. But we also get the North Cascades and Olympics on clear days, so it comes out even.

Punatic, you ever been out to Central Oregon? The obsidian flow at Newberry Crater is a sight.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 03:45:20 pm »
I can only see two from my house. Hood is about 50 miles away. Adams is about 20. From a hill south of my place you can see Rainier Adams St Helens Hood and Jefferson

Definitely jealous, from someone who grew up in sight of Wy'east (Hood) and Loowit (Helens). Up here in Seattle we only get Tacoma (Rainier), and Kulshan (Baker) if you've got a good north view. But we also get the North Cascades and Olympics on clear days, so it comes out even.

Punatic, you ever been out to Central Oregon? The obsidian flow at Newberry Crater is a sight.
On the drive from Bend to the coast there's a pretty spectacular lava field.  Is that it? 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »
Beautiful area there Jim and nice looking brew set up! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

narvin

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »
Well that's just a beautiful sight.

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 04:19:12 pm »
On the drive from Bend to the coast there's a pretty spectacular lava field.  Is that it?

That's definitely not the Newberry Crater flow; you have to take a road east off highway 97 to get there. Well worth the trip. I see a couple different lava fields on the map west of Bend, so you'll have to be more specific about which highway you're referring to.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 04:20:23 pm »
Decided to go for it. Blonde is in the fermentor, IPA is starting boil, ABA mash water is heating. I'll be beat but the freezmentor will be full. I'm not looking forward to bottling day!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 05:05:25 pm »

That's definitely not the Newberry Crater flow; you have to take a road east off highway 97 to get there. Well worth the trip. I see a couple different lava fields on the map west of Bend, so you'll have to be more specific about which highway you're referring to.
McKenzie Pass is what I remember, after looking at a map.  Highway 20 between Sisters and Cascadia.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »
There's some lava over there. Black Butte is along that route. Big ole cinder cone.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »
About 30 minutes of boil time left on my ABA then all done! Three batches in one day. I'll take that as a good day

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 08:04:30 pm »

McKenzie Pass is what I remember, after looking at a map.  Highway 20 between Sisters and Cascadia.

No, it is more south and a little east of the highway. Huge flow of obsidian, not what we think of lava, this is black glass. On top there are obsidian boulders almost the size of a Smart car.

A ways from there, there was a lava flow with casts of trees, that left round voids down into the lava.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:08:48 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »

No, it is more south and a little east of the highway. Huge flow of obsidian, not what we think of lava, this is black glass. On top there are obsidian boulders almost the size of a Smart car.

A ways from there, there was a lava flow with casts of trees, that left round voids down into the lava.

[/URL][/img]

If this works, it is a Works Progress project in the McEnzie Pass lava field.

We went to another basalt rock park somewhere between Bend and Crater Lake that was pretty cool, too.

Edit.  Well that didn't work and I don't feel like diagnosing it right now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:20:09 pm by jeffy »
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:10 pm »
People up here like stacking rocks.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 08:23:31 pm »

Second try.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 10:39:31 pm »
This is Jeff's 
Cool stuff!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907