Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gimme some sugar!  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Gimme some sugar!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 05:06:04 am »
I'm trying to compile a list of sugars used in brewing.  Hit me with some ideas!

Not sure how wide you're casting the sugar net but I would add xylitol to the list.

I've used and would recommend xylitol for backsweetening fruit and sour beers.  The brand I used (Emerald Forest) claimed to be sourced from birch trees.  I've found xylitol to provide decently traditional sugar sweetness, at least with the modest additions I've used.  And no fermentation of the xylitol addition appeared to occur.

Xylitol is preferable to saccharin, both for avoiding accompanying off-flavors and for health concerns.  Positive claims for xylitol include being safe for diabetics as well as not promoting cavities.
Xylitol is also naturally present in pears.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:02 am »
Did anyone mention treacle yet?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:32 am »
Don't forget the hop candy Denny!  Folks actually DO use it for priming . . . and other stuff.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:14 pm »
Don't forget the hop candy Denny!  Folks actually DO use it for priming . . . and other stuff.

Can't believe I didn't think of this before. Yet another way to stuff more hops in my beer. Coming out with a Nelson Sauvin or Amarillo flavor any time soon? :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 07:48:07 am »
No plans on those any time soon, but I recently have been playing with some of the high alpha and super alpha girls like Super Galena, Nugget, Zeus, Bravo and Apollo.  It's really amazing what flavor/aroma compounds are hidden behind all that bitterness. 

Been sending samples out with all of my customers orders and looking for feedback, unfortunately folks seem to be reluctant to get back to me for some reason.  The few that have are leaning toward Zeus which is fine with me.  Stay tuned and have a Hoppy Halloween!

ps: Simcoe, Galaxy = nothing to write home about.