Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone have a SS Brewing Technologies Conical Fermentor  (Read 16023 times)

Offline rfaletra

• 1st Kit
Anyone have a SS Brewing Technologies Conical Fermentor
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »
Just came across an add for SS Brewing Technologies stainless steel conical fermentor. http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/7-gallon-chronical

from the looks of the pictures on the website they look very good and they are much less expensive than the Blichmann equivalent.

Does anyone out there have one and if so what is your opinion of it. They claim they will have a 14 gallon version early next year?

rob

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: Anyone have a SS Brewing Technologies Conical Fermentor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »
Says they are sold out, so we may never know

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:40:56 pm »
Never heard of them, but I'm curious to know what a "chronical" fermentor is. ???
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:23 am »
Very shiny.

I think conicals are a waste of money unless you are brewing very large batches of beer.  The amount of work that goes into cleaning and caring for them is not worth it when compared to the other available options on a homebrew scale.    Not to mention you have better uses for your money - fermentation temperature control, a mill, motorizing your mill, pumps, building yourself a keezer and an awesome bar, etc.

It's your money though :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:55:46 pm »
I'm glad to hear a pro confirm my suspicion

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:47:09 pm »
I'd not heard of them before this post. I have a 14 gal Blichmann Fermenator that I love and wouldn't want to ferment any other way, but this looks like a really good deal. They appear to come standard with tri-clover fittings which makes it an even bigger bargain.

They're sold out, so presumably someone has bought them. I look forward to hearing a review.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:26:54 pm »
Very shiny.

I think conicals are a waste of money unless you are brewing very large batches of beer.  The amount of work that goes into cleaning and caring for them is not worth it when compared to the other available options on a homebrew scale.    Not to mention you have better uses for your money - fermentation temperature control, a mill, motorizing your mill, pumps, building yourself a keezer and an awesome bar, etc.

I mostly agree but if you can get a conical with some type of cip set up clean up sure is easy. Problem is most homebrew conicals don't have threadless ports and the threads all need cleaned. It is a real PITA.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:34:10 pm »
Four reasons I bought a Stout Tanks conical in order of importance from least to most:
*Looks cool (I admit it)
*Thermal conductivity
*Ease of cleaning (no threads and the entire top comes off)
*Easy & sanitary yeast harvesting

Was it worth the $329?  I suppose.  I will also admit that I had the money burning a hole in my pocket.  I resisted for like 3-4 weeks telling myself that I didn't really need it.  I'm weak.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »
$329 is nothing for a famous billionaire like you. Us poor folk have to stick with plastic.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »
I actually found my conical easier to clean than my buckets were. And it will never have permanent stains or aromas. Plus it does look cool in my pub.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »
$329 is nothing for a famous billionaire like you. Us poor folk have to stick with plastic.

Yeah, we pastors are known for all the money we make.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:54:44 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:57 am »
Very shiny.

What are your thoughts n what constitutes a large batch?  I'm doing 15 gal batches and am seriously considering some 20 gal fermenters because lugging 3 pails etc up and down stairs is getting to be a problem. But I'm also unsure if this is really the right move.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:37 am »
Very shiny.

What are your thoughts n what constitutes a large batch?  I'm doing 15 gal batches and am seriously considering some 20 gal fermenters because lugging 3 pails etc up and down stairs is getting to be a problem. But I'm also unsure if this is really the right move.
How are you planning to get 15 gallons up and down the stairs?  Would the 20 gallon one stay downstairs, or would you have to pump the wort up?

15 gallons is getting close in my opinion - it is the difference between having to clean 3 vessels vs. 1.  If you have it set up to CIP like Keith suggests, then it is even easier.  But then we're talking triclamps, pump, spray ball, etc.  Nice if you have the money for it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:47 pm »
I'm on their waiting list.  Don't know if I'll pull the trigger when their lottery picks my number, but let's be honest... Who doesn't want more shiny stainless in their brewery?  Besides, the economics of home brewing are a lie (we of course don't say that out loud to our spouses!).  I spend a heck of a lot more on "market research" ie new commercial craft beer, to help me refine my recipes and techniques than my wife would prefer.  But hey, if you want to make great homebrew, you have to crack a few bottle caps! 

Offline buzzny

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »

15 gallons is getting close in my opinion - it is the difference between having to clean 3 vessels vs. 1.  If you have it set up to CIP like Keith suggests, then it is even easier.  But then we're talking triclamps, pump, spray ball, etc.  Nice if you have the money for it.

I have one Blichmann 27 and a 42. Yes, $$$ but I am really happy with them. I set up a CIP and is semi-automated. This took me a few years, I was concerned about quality of the fermenters from China and that may have been my final sway to stay with the Blichmanns. Already have their 55 kettle, 30 kettle and heat exchanger. I know big batches. Took a few years and am almost a happy man.