Author Topic: Brewer's Friend Membership  (Read 355 times)

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Brewer's Friend Membership
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
I'm still looking for a cross platform always in sync recipe creation and management solution.

Any feedback on the paid version of Brewer's Friend? Figure it's only $10, so I may give it a whirl.

Their iPhone app is $8, which is reasonable, but it hasn't been updated since last October. Infrequent updates make me nervous.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Online klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer's Friend Membership
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »
I use it and really like it, best part is easy thorough water calculator

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »
I'd definitely try out the free version to see if you like it. I'm a big fan of it myself. I really like the web browser interface. There's enough customization available to suit my needs, but it's simple enough to just jump in.

I'm a big fan of the (semi) integrated water calculator. It's really nice not to have to plug in your grain bill into a separate calculator.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
I used it for the water calculator for a time... I prefer Bru'n Water though by a longshot.  So I have not been back in in over a year.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
I often use Brewer's Friend for recipe formulation, but like Bru'nWater much better for water chemistry too.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
I often use Brewer's Friend for recipe formulation, but like Bru'nWater much better for water chemistry too.

I find that the results between Brunwater and Brewer's Friend are within a couple hundredths on the pH scale. I generally use BrunWater for the water profiles, but use the calculator in Brewer's Friend to make (and store) my actual adjustments. Disclaimer - I no-sparge, so water chemistry is a bit simpler for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:03 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that water chemistry isn't as adjustable in Brewer's Friend. I like to subtract my boil off from the kettle additions. Never did this with 5 and 10 gallon batches, but after a very minerally 1 gallon batch it occurred to me that it might be wise to do so.

Most of the time I just type out what my additions were in the notes fields.
"Gypsum - .35gpg (1.4g boil, 1.05g kettle)"
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.