Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider yeast article - more info wanted  (Read 4636 times)

Offline albionwood

• 1st Kit
Cider yeast article - more info wanted
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:55:55 am »
I read the article on a cider yeast comparison project with great interest, as I have been informally testing various yeasts for years.  Interesting to see that two of the yeasts produced a reportedly sweet-tasting cider, however, there was no supporting data (final gravity or Brix).  I'm left wondering if the yeast really did leave sugar behind - which would be surprising to me - or if there was a flavor perception of sweetness, which I have experienced with some yeasts, even though the cider was actually dry.

Any chance we could see OG, FG, and perhaps pH and titratable acidity?  These are basic analytical data that should be gathered for a true research project.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Cider yeast article - more info wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:25:12 pm »
While I don't think the intent of the research or its funding is to produce peer-reviewed articles, I think the requested data should be shared as a condition of funding.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:34:02 pm »
While I don't think the intent of the research or its funding is to produce peer-reviewed articles, I think the requested data should be shared as a condition of funding.

while the requested information would be handy, it seems to me like they met their statement of purpose.  And since this happened several months ago, I assume they've already been paid for the 35 gallons of Costco apple juice.

I make a ton of cider.  "How's it smell/taste?" - that's what I care about.  I had come to similar conclusions on my own, but I was happy to see the results and found the study useful.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »
  "How's it smell/taste?" - that's what I care about.  I had come to similar conclusions on my own, but I was happy to see the results and found the study useful.

+1.  Same here.
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »
It goes without saying that the subjective data (how does it taste) is most important, I don't see why objective data is not included especially since this data was probably collected.  A beer recipe should include O.G. and F.G., why not a cider recipe?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »
The Home Brew Talk cider forum has the most extensive thread I've ever seen on making cider with various yeasts.  It does not necessarily have tasting notes from BJCP judges but he does report his FG.

My recollection is that cider is typically pretty standard at about 1.055 OG, but I suppose that could vary.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:55 am »
My recollection is that cider is typically pretty standard at about 1.055 OG, but I suppose that could vary.

That's about the average of the juice I get from my trees.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 10:40:06 am »
I did one recently with western family juice and it was 1.050

Offline hoodie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:57 am »
I've done 2 recently with White House & Publix store brand AJ (Publix is a grocery chain here in the South). Both had OG's of 1.050. I preferred the White House even though it was from concentrate and Publix was not. Both Belgian Abbey yeast.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 01:29:40 pm »

That's about the average of the juice I get from my trees.

Good to know my mind is not completely shot.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton