Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chugger Pump and Counterflow wort chiller  (Read 3342 times)

Offline mpiunno

• 1st Kit
Chugger Pump and Counterflow wort chiller
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »
I recently bought a Chugger pump (3/4 centerline in x 1/2 out) with a SS head.  I am currently gravity feeding my counterflow wort chiller which is made up of a 3/8 OD copper tube jacketed by a garden hose.  When I hook my pump up to the chiller, will the 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD silicone tubing be able to take the pressure increase generated by the tubing size reduction (1/2 ID silicone to 1/4 ID copper)?

Offline arustyt

• Cellarman
Re: Chugger Pump and Counterflow wort chiller
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »
I doubt that the pump will generate enough pressure to be a problem. However, I would recommend putting a valve on the output side of the pump. That will allow you to control the temperature of the wort coming out of the CFC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:46:46 pm »
I recently bought a Chugger pump (3/4 centerline in x 1/2 out) with a SS head.  I am currently gravity feeding my counterflow wort chiller which is made up of a 3/8 OD copper tube jacketed by a garden hose.  When I hook my pump up to the chiller, will the 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD silicone tubing be able to take the pressure increase generated by the tubing size reduction (1/2 ID silicone to 1/4 ID copper)?

I was just reading about silicon tubing pressure rating. I don't know if this is for all silicon or just what I was looking at on bargainfittings.com but it stated 10PSI was max and warned that much higher could cause a rupture in the tubing (the tubing could pop is actually how it was stated) which would be exciting indeed with hot wort!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline arustyt

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:05:47 am »
The maximum pressure the chugger pump you described can produce is about 8 psi. As I said above I think you should put a valve on the pump output so you can reduce the flow rate and hence the pressure. If you run the pump full flow the wort will not cool down in the chiller as much as you want. I have a thermometer at the output of my chiller and adjust the flow to get the final wort temp I am looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!

Offline mpiunno

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 06:54:01 am »
yep I already have a valve on the output side of the pump to control flow.  my worry is that going from 1/2 inch diameter tubing down to 1/4 inch tubing the back pressure will increase above the bursting pressure which happens to be at 70 Degrees...what is the busting pressure at say 200 degrees?  After looking at the hose specs again the hose I got, 3/4 OD, has a bust of 30 PSI at 70 Deg F.  even if there is a 20 percent drop due to heat and hose expansion that would make burst pressure at roughly 24 PSI.  I guess I will just try it out with water prior to running wort through it.  I will post results when I get the experiment complete.

thanks   

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »
I have what sounds like the same setup.  6 batches with the counterflow chiller with no problem.  Wort comes out at 74 degrees using tap water (Southern California) without a pre chill.  We cooled a ten gallon batch in about 12 minutes last Saturday.  Much happier than with my immersion chiller.