General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Carastan vs. Caramalt

(1/4) > >>

donsmitty:
I just bought some grain for an extract I'm brewing.  The recipe called for caramalt (37 L).  The store didn't have it so I went with carastan 30 - 37.  What can I expect the difference to be? 

Steve in TX:
Carastan is a name brand malt from Hugh Bairds. It is basically British Crystal 40.

goschman:
Caramalt:
30-37° L. Imparts a light flavor and pale red color, contributes dextrins, and adds to foam stability.

Carastan:
30-40° L. Carastan is a British crystal malt with a caramel/toffee flavor and hints of toasted bread.

Someone more experienced than I can probably answer better but it appears from the description that the flavor from carastan will be more noticeable in the recipe depending on how much is used. I have never used either malt so I cannot speak from experience.

denny:

--- Quote from: goschman on October 22, 2013, 02:25:38 PM ---Caramalt:
30-37° L. Imparts a light flavor and pale red color, contributes dextrins, and adds to foam stability.

Carastan:
30-40° L. Carastan is a British crystal malt with a caramel/toffee flavor and hints of toasted bread.

Someone more experienced than I can probably answer better but it appears from the description that the flavor from carastan will be more noticeable in the recipe depending on how much is used. I have never used either malt so I cannot speak from experience.

--- End quote ---

Interesting....I was just working in a section of the book about this.  I'll confirm what Steve posted.

dak0415:
Carastan is Bairds trademark (like CaraAmber from Weyermann)

Simpsons Caramalt=Carastan.  I use them interchangeably in my Northern English Brown Ale.  Has a toffee flavor that some judges mistake for oxidation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version