Author Topic: Carastan vs. Caramalt  (Read 1635 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
    • View Profile
Carastan vs. Caramalt
« on: October 22, 2013, 01:08:36 PM »
I just bought some grain for an extract I'm brewing.  The recipe called for caramalt (37 L).  The store didn't have it so I went with carastan 30 - 37.  What can I expect the difference to be? 

Online Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Carastan vs. Caramalt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
Carastan is a name brand malt from Hugh Bairds. It is basically British Crystal 40.

Online goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »
Caramalt:
30-37° L. Imparts a light flavor and pale red color, contributes dextrins, and adds to foam stability.

Carastan:
30-40° L. Carastan is a British crystal malt with a caramel/toffee flavor and hints of toasted bread.

Someone more experienced than I can probably answer better but it appears from the description that the flavor from carastan will be more noticeable in the recipe depending on how much is used. I have never used either malt so I cannot speak from experience.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:33:13 PM by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:45:34 PM »
Caramalt:
30-37° L. Imparts a light flavor and pale red color, contributes dextrins, and adds to foam stability.

Carastan:
30-40° L. Carastan is a British crystal malt with a caramel/toffee flavor and hints of toasted bread.

Someone more experienced than I can probably answer better but it appears from the description that the flavor from carastan will be more noticeable in the recipe depending on how much is used. I have never used either malt so I cannot speak from experience.

Interesting....I was just working in a section of the book about this.  I'll confirm what Steve posted.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline dak0415

• Brewer
  • Winston-Salem, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »
Carastan is Bairds trademark (like CaraAmber from Weyermann)

Simpsons Caramalt=Carastan.  I use them interchangeably in my Northern English Brown Ale.  Has a toffee flavor that some judges mistake for oxidation.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
Carastan is Bairds trademark (like CaraAmber from Weyermann)

Simpsons Caramalt=Carastan.  I use them interchangeably in my Northern English Brown Ale.  Has a toffee flavor that some judges mistake for oxidation.

Interestingly, one of the qualities of crystal/cara malts is that they supposed slow oxidative reactions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Online 69franx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
I have been reading the most recent issue of BYO, and really like the sounds of the Switchback Ale clone in the mag. The recipe calls for carastan malt. I searched here for info and found this link. My main question is that in Beersmith2, their is no grain listing for either carastan or caramber. Should I simply input British crystal 40, or is there a better option for the ingredient listing? Any thought would be helpful.
Frank Laske
Alpine Brewery(my home)
Fermenting: Nothing, too much(really) beer on hand!
In Bottles: Alpine IPA, Smoked Porter, Evil Twin, John Palmer's Fightin' Urak Hai Barley Wine
In the works: ...what next?

Online Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »
You can add the malt to beersmith. You just need to find the specs.

Online 69franx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:16 AM »
Thanks Steve, now that you said that, I was able to find the way to add grains and specs for it.
Frank Laske
Alpine Brewery(my home)
Fermenting: Nothing, too much(really) beer on hand!
In Bottles: Alpine IPA, Smoked Porter, Evil Twin, John Palmer's Fightin' Urak Hai Barley Wine
In the works: ...what next?