Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: double brew .. 1 fermentor  (Read 1649 times)

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
double brew .. 1 fermentor
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »
let me first say that i'm aware that this isn't the smartest way to do make a 10 gallon batch, but i'd still like to throw the question out there and see what you guys think ...

i'm brewing the same IPA recipe with 2 different people on 2 consecutive days, but i'd like to use my blichmann fermenator for both batches and just ferment it all together.

if i was to brew a 5 gallon batch and dump it into my fermentor with the yeast, can i brew a 5 gallon batch of the same beer the next day and add it to the same fermentor (with new yeast)?  assuming i'm really careful with sanitation, are there any negative effects of doing this (besides the additional labor)?  are there any steps i should adjust to make sure the final product hasn't been altered?

thanks ... appreciate your input!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: double brew .. 1 fermentor
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:43 pm »
I would put the first batch in a sealed and sanitized bucket in the fridge and put them in the fermentor at the the same time.  That way I could get an accurate OG reading.

You can do it the way suggest.  Your first batch would be one heck of a yeast starter.  ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »
I would put the first batch in a sealed and sanitized bucket in the fridge and put them in the fermentor at the the same time.  That way I could get an accurate OG reading.

You can do it the way suggest.  Your first batch would be one heck of a yeast starter.  ;D

Paul

You can also just take the weighted average of the two OG readings and get to what should be the same number.  It should be pretty straight forward. Assuming both batches are the same volume you wouldn't even have to weight the average.

I wouldn't want to wait to pitch the yeast.  I'd do just what you (the OP) are proposing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:03:37 pm »
Do a weighted average for the OG per Joe.

I would pitch all the yeast into the first batch minimizing the lag.  I would still aerate the second batch before adding it to the fermenter. 

narvin

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:40:55 pm »
This is actually a common practice.  If you pitch enough yeast for the first batch and add the second after 24 hours (after aeratign), you will grow enough yeast for the whole batch.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drauflassen

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:36:22 pm »
thanks very much, everyone!  really appreciate your help.