Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Balls?  (Read 7160 times)

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
Brew Balls?
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:59:19 pm »
Any one out there have Brew Balls?

http://www.brewballstore.com/

Worth it?
Ol' Edge Brew  -  Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Brew Balls?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:13 pm »
I saw that advertisement in Zymurgy the issue before this last one and looked them up.  One they seem pricey for what they do.  Two, they're giving a pretty broad range of gravity's (assuming they're accurate).  And three, do you really need that information?  It's pretty obvious roughly where you are in the fermentation process just by looking at the fermentor, the airlock, etc.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:18:47 am »
They claim that their product is less risky toward contamination.  I would be more concerned about contamination from putting my dirty balls in the beer  ;D than popping the airlock off for a gravity sample.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:00:09 am »
It's pretty obvious roughly where you are in the fermentation process just by looking at the fermentor, the airlock, etc.

I use apathy. Very low risk of contamination from that.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:54:46 am »
These things look pretty cool
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:20:38 am »
They claim that their product is less risky toward contamination.  I would be more concerned about contamination from putting my dirty balls in the beer  ;D than popping the airlock off for a gravity sample.

This is where I get to say "If you can't take a gravity reading without contaminating your beer, perhaps you should consider taking up knitting for a hobby"!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:24 am »

This is where I get to say "If you can't take a gravity reading without contaminating your beer, perhaps you should consider taking up knitting for a hobby"!

They should be marketing the laziness enabling aspect of this product. You can get a good estimate of the gravity in a few seconds without the ''hassle" of taking a sample and using a hydrometer or counting airlock bubbles  ;D
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:32:50 am »
I think it is a really interesting idea. Someone needs to buy a set and see how well they work. ;)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:13:58 am »
They are customizable, so the broad range can be narrowed down, but if one really wanted to monitor
without opening the fermenter, wouldn't the hydrometer itself be just as effective in there. Crud aside it
would probably just "Center" itself in the carboy because of the neck.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:29:20 am »
"...I've got big balls
They're such big balls
And they're dirty big balls
And he's got big balls
And she's got big balls
But we've got the biggest balls of them all!"

AC/DC

Maybe BrewBalls should use AC/DC's song as their jingle?  ;D
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:31 am »

I love that one.

I cannot see them work well and reliably. When you put then in your beer, most of them will actually fall to the bottom during fermentation since the CO2 that is bubbling out of solution lowers their buoyancy significantly. You can see that when you are trying to gravity reading from a carbonated sample. If that is not happening then they may float more than they should b/c of the CO2 bubbles attached to them.

Based on that, they can’t be used to monitor gravity during fermentation. Once the beer is still you may have crud on them which changes their weight. And In addition to that, you can only use them in beers that are clear enough for you to see them. Try using them in a RIS.

IMHO, it’s a neat but rather useless idea for brewing.

Kai

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:43 am »
Not worth it. For reasons stated above. These probably will be bought by new brewers, who will abandon them after several uses.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »
And In addition to that, you can only use them in beers that are clear enough for you to see them. Try using them in a RIS.

Let me correct that. I think they are designed such that the colored marking will always float up. This means that you could see them floating at the surface given that there is no residual Kraeusen.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:13:00 pm »
Not worth it. For reasons stated above. These probably will be bought by new brewers, who will abandon them after several uses.

So, you're saying these will be the next "Fermentap"? ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 12:16:24 pm »

So, you're saying these will be the next "Fermentap"? ;)

Quite likely, but there'll always be someone who swears by them. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis