Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: when homebrewers go pro  (Read 6230 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
when homebrewers go pro
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:32:52 am »
Another brewer and I created our local club back in 2008.  He has long since stopped coming to meetings. 

Our club is doing better than ever now, and I've been the elected president of the club since it's inception.  However, I now own a small production brewery, and feel that it's time to step down from a leadership position in the club.  I will still go to meetings, and help out whenever possible. 

But, (and I hate to say this) somehow I feel this is MY club.  I know that's wrong, and it's time to let others take some leadership duties.  But, in the back of my head............

Anyway, anyone got some words of wisdom?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: when homebrewers go pro
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:57 am »
Not much help, but do what feels right.  Yeah, hippie dippie, I know....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:57:04 am »
Create a new job for yourself - past president.  The job of past president is to drink beer at meetings and make snide comments in the back.  Works for me. ;)

I've gone a couple of different ways - disengage for a while and let them do it, or stick around and hang out, helping where you can.  I wouldn't say either is any better or easier than the other, they are just better/easier in different ways.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:39:51 am »
Honorary Pro-brewing member. :)
Ron Price

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:50:57 am »
Do what's best for the club.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:31:00 pm »
Create a new job for yourself - past president.  The job of past president is to drink beer at meetings and make snide comments in the back.  Works for me. ;)

Isn't this your position in all of the clubs you attend?

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:52 pm »
You could create an "at-large" position, fill it, and announce the open seat for presidency... Kinda like a minister without portfolio?
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:00:52 am »

Isn't this your position in all of the clubs you attend?
Pretty much, yep.  Stick with your strengths, right?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:38:44 am »
Yeah, when I was Falcons president oh so many moons ago, I held the office for longer than anyone else and I could have kept going becuase I had it down pat. Knew all the moves and everything else. I ended up stepping down because a club has to have turnover in leadership or else it stagnates and potentially dies.

For instance with you - if you start losing focus and energy to devote to the club, this thing that you feel ownership and protection of,  it will wither on the vine. You need to make sure others can pick up the torch and run with it.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
Thanks Drew -  Honestly, I think I've already lost that motivation.  Probably the biggest reason I feel it's time to step away.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:06:01 am »
The past officers in our club are part of an executive committee that is consulted from time to time on club matters.

Officer turnover is a good way to bring more energy into a club and keep it from stagnating.

Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »
We tend to change the club leadership every 2-3 years to keep it fresh.  When the President feels it's his time to step down, he waits at the meeting for the next victim, er.....nominee to get up to use the restroom.  When that person gets back he is welcomed as the new President, and the former pres assumes the title of what number he was such as Vince X, #3, Frank11.  Past presidents sit in the back like the 2 guys in the balcony of the Muppets, drink beer, and comment how it was done in their day.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »
We tend to change the club leadership every 2-3 years to keep it fresh.  When the President feels it's his time to step down, he waits at the meeting for the next victim, er.....nominee to get up to use the restroom.  When that person gets back he is welcomed as the new President, and the former pres assumes the title of what number he was such as Vince X, #3, Frank11.  Past presidents sit in the back like the 2 guys in the balcony of the Muppets, drink beer, and comment how it was done in their day.

This sounds like a great way to do it, its all very hush hush secret society like;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Rob Adams

• 1st Kit
  • I do all my own stunts.
    • Carolina BrewMasters
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:49 pm »
Our past three Presidents serve on the Board and cycle out as a new President comes in.  Keeps the "Institutional Knowledge" around in a leadership role, but assures that new ideas can keep coming in.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:27 pm »
Well, we had elections on Sunday.  I'm no longer part of the leadership of the North Olympic Brewers Guild.  It feels great to let others take charge.  Now I can decide to go to meetings or not.  Although, my wife was elected President, so maybe I still don't get to decide.  I'm sure she will do a better job than I.