Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Report  (Read 2340 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Hop Report
« on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:46 pm »
FYI from Hops Direct:

"Globally, hop production is likely to be down 8.9% this year. Climate is the largest contributing factor, something completely out of anyone's control. The best advice for craft brewers from a growers perspective is to plan ahead for the hops you will need and organize contracts as early as possible."
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hop Report
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:01:09 pm »
Heard the German crop was pretty low this year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »
Scary! Guess we will have to get by on malty session beers till this crisis is averted. Thank the gods I still have four pounds of 2012 in the freezer
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:07:00 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:12:12 pm »
Scary! Guess we will have to get by on malty session beers till this crisis is averted. Thank the gods I still have four pounds of 2012 in the freezer

Yikes, that's only like 2 batches of IPA. Better stock up soon!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:22:42 pm »
No worries. In an emergency I can drink 6b. Four pounds out to make about about a year's worth.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:31:01 pm »
I don't think there's any reason to start hoarding unless you use lots of European hops.  Like  hopfenundmalz said, the German crop was the worst in 50 years (so I've seen).  Most of the reports from the US have been pretty good in that the folks with contracts will pretty much be taken care of.  What remains will most likely be a little more expensive than the last couple of years.  Again, he mentioned that 'global' production was down so I'd figure that some will be a little hard to find.  Hops Away!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:18 am »
Good thing I picked up all the hops I plan to need for next year. I don't need a lot but I picked up a bunch of Styrian variants and French hops on the cheap from Farmhouse Brewing Supply.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:52:41 am »
I don't think there's any reason to start hoarding unless you use lots of European hops.  Like  hopfenundmalz said, the German crop was the worst in 50 years (so I've seen).  Most of the reports from the US have been pretty good in that the folks with contracts will pretty much be taken care of.  What remains will most likely be a little more expensive than the last couple of years.  Again, he mentioned that 'global' production was down so I'd figure that some will be a little hard to find.  Hops Away!

The spring and early summer were cold and wet, which slowed the growth of the bines. The mid summer it turned extremely hot for Germany, 100F, and was very dry. Not so good for the varieties they grow there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »
With a little Citra and Mosaic on the way, the Hops Report from my freezer is looking good. 8)

It must be increasingly stressful for commercial brewers to nail down hops for the year with all the new buyers out there.  I bet a bunch of newer breweries might have a costly learning curve on hop acquisition.

So with contracts for hops, do you commit to buying a certain amount of a variety and pay up front? How can the farmer guarantee delivery?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:42 pm »
With a little Citra and Mosaic on the way, the Hops Report from my freezer is looking good. 8)

It must be increasingly stressful for commercial brewers to nail down hops for the year with all the new buyers out there.  I bet a bunch of newer breweries might have a costly learning curve on hop acquisition.

So with contracts for hops, do you commit to buying a certain amount of a variety and pay up front? How can the farmer guarantee delivery?
As I understand it you have a contract to buy X amount at Y price over so many years. The farmers have clauses that take care of bad years. In the big shortage year, Saaz was only delivered at something like 2/3 the contracted amount. If anyone knows better, correct me.

Many of the start ups have recipes using the high demand hops, only to find they need to get a contract for delivery a couple of years from when they open. There is the spot market for the short term, but that can be expensive, unless there is a glut.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:11 pm »
Yes I was in outages to contract early for next growing season.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com