Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5.2 comments  (Read 2771 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
5.2 comments
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:19:30 am »
Martin Brungard posted this on his Facebook account.  I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it here, but I wanted to have it archived where we could all find it.

"Here is a comment from noted brewing water expert, AJ DeLange about the conversation he had with the chemist from Five Star Chemicals regarding their 5.2 Stabilizer product.

"Tipped a few last night with the chemist who designed this product and was able to confirm that it is indeed a mix of phosphates (mono and di basic) that accounts for the presence of the malt phosphate. This is something I have long suspected and am pleased to have finally confirmed.

Good manners prevented me from pressing him on its efficacy and suitability relative to the statement on the label but his comments on it were basically that most brewers shouldn't use it/need it and that it was put together for a particular brewery that had variable source water and no desire to make any effort to track that variability."

Please spread the word that the 5.2 product is not needed or desirable for brewing."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:29:52 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: 5.2 comments
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:27 am »
I stopped using it years ago. It was giving my beers a funky salty taste so I quit using it. Thanks for posting.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:28:18 am »
Great info.  Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »
I bought some back when I bought ph strips, just in case. I tried using it once just because I bought it. Its around here somewhere if anyone wants it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:02:16 pm »
Used it once years ago and did not like the results on the flavor of the beer.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 06:20:30 pm »
It was recommended to me at the LHBS a few yeast back, never did buy it........thanks for sharing the post, clears up a lot!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »
Thanks Denny! I'll be bookmarking this.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:40:55 am »
It was recommended to me at the LHBS a few yeast back, never did buy it........thanks for sharing the post, clears up a lot!

you know you're obsessed with homebrewing when you start measuring time in 'yeasts'  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:03 am »

you know you're obsessed with homebrewing when you start measuring time in 'yeasts'  ;D

Ha ha! Yes, do not confuse yeast time with real time!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »
it was put together for a particular brewery that had variable source water and no desire to make any effort to track that variability."

So if it was good for a brewery that didn't track it's water source, then where is it bad for a home brewer that doesn't have a water report or wishes to go into the chemistry of water, to use it?
To me, that quote says that unless you know what your water is, or plan to build off of RO water, you should use it for some brews.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 12:55:20 pm »
I would be more concerned by the comments from folks that have used it and not been happy with the flavor results.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 03:14:09 pm »
it was put together for a particular brewery that had variable source water and no desire to make any effort to track that variability."

So if it was good for a brewery that didn't track it's water source, then where is it bad for a home brewer that doesn't have a water report or wishes to go into the chemistry of water, to use it?
To me, that quote says that unless you know what your water is, or plan to build off of RO water, you should use it for some brews.

I used it for maybe 5-6 brews trying to make it work.  Not only did it not adjust the pH to 5.2, even if it had I would have stopped using it becasue of the off flavor ot gave the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »

it might be good for one brewery with a water source that varies within a known range. That does not mean it will work for any water source regardless of the raneg of variability
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 04:27:03 pm »
I found that it's good for holding down recipe notes when a wind kicks up.
Also, if you have no idea what's in your water, adding 5.2 just adds more of an unknown since they don't say what's in it.