Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Chai Concentrate  (Read 2596 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Adding Chai Concentrate
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »
I brewed the Yak & Yeti Chai Milk Stout recipe from the May/June 2013 Zymurgy this past weekend. Brew day went great, but I wanted to try something different then the suggested homemade chai extract, which is made by soaking dry chai mix in vodka.

There is a local chai brewer (Bhakti Chai) that sells there product in concentrate, and I would really like to use their blend. It's got a nice spiciness to it that I think would work really well. Anyways...

How should I go about adding the concentrate? I was thinking of pasteurizing it by bringing it to ~160-170*F and holding for 10ish minutes. Not sure if this is ideal, or if there is something else I should consider...

Thanks!!
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Adding Chai Concentrate
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:26 pm »
that would work. I'm not sure it would be absolutely necessary though. Depends on your appetite for risk  ;) even below boiling you are going to lose some aromatics in the heating. Although I suppose you could do it in a closed environment with vapor return (the lid on) and you wouldn't lose much.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:44:36 pm »
that would work. I'm not sure it would be absolutely necessary though. Depends on your appetite for risk  ;) even below boiling you are going to lose some aromatics in the heating. Although I suppose you could do it in a closed environment with vapor return (the lid on) and you wouldn't lose much.

I was worried a bit about losing some of the character by heat treating the concentrate. I am tempted to just dump it in without any prep. It's a pretty strong one (og: 1.081), so there should be enough alcohol in there to ward off bugs...I think!

Thankya!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:17:52 pm »

I was worried a bit about losing some of the character by heat treating the concentrate. I am tempted to just dump it in without any prep. It's a pretty strong one (og: 1.081), so there should be enough alcohol in there to ward off bugs...I think!

Thankya!

Yeah, you will likely be just fine.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:00:25 am »
I'd wonder what the process was for concentration. Was it pasteurized prior to packaging? If so then it should be fine to sanitize the exterior of the container and dump it in. If you're not sure about the packaging then I'd think about blending it with a small amount of vodka or grain alcohol to get to around 25-30% alcohol to kill off anything that might be living in it. I wouldn't pasteurize out of fear of losing too much of the aromatics.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:14:24 am »
I'd wonder what the process was for concentration. Was it pasteurized prior to packaging? If so then it should be fine to sanitize the exterior of the container and dump it in. If you're not sure about the packaging then I'd think about blending it with a small amount of vodka or grain alcohol to get to around 25-30% alcohol to kill off anything that might be living in it. I wouldn't pasteurize out of fear of losing too much of the aromatics.

Good point. I'll try and get an answer from Bhakti.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
Does it contain any sugar? If you've bottle conditioning and it contains sugar, you'll need to reduce your priming sugar.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:01:56 am »
Does it contain any sugar? If you've bottle conditioning and it contains sugar, you'll need to reduce your priming sugar.

THIS is something I had not considered... I will have to check it out.

I emailed them about the pasteurization methods they use, so hopefully I will hear back from them about that.

edit: The "original" concentrate I was planning on using has 13g  of sugar (per 1/2 cup), but apparently they make an unsweetened version with no sugar, which I haven't seen in stores before. If I do go with the concentrate with sugar, do I just subtract the amount of sugar I am using from how much priming sugar I was planning on using? Never ran into this issue before...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:06:11 am by duncan »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:08 am »

THIS is something I had not considered... I will have to check it out.

I emailed them about the pasteurization methods they use, so hopefully I will hear back from them about that.

edit: The "original" concentrate I was planning on using has 13g  of sugar (per 1/2 cup), but apparently they make an unsweetened version with no sugar, which I haven't seen in stores before. If I do go with the concentrate with sugar, do I just subtract the amount of sugar I am using from how much priming sugar I was planning on using? Never ran into this issue before...

yup, that's the idea
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:20:51 am »
hopefully I can find the unsweetened stuff and it was a pasteurized so all I have to do is dump it in and go about business as usual.

Thanks for help everyone!

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:58:44 am »
From the awesome Bhakti folk:

We bottle at 165 degrees which kills the bacteria that enables us to have the 15 week shelf life.  I don't believe you have anything to worry about with the concentrate and sanitation issues as Avery Brewing Co uses it for a seasonal beer they brew and it's passed all of their internal tests.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »
If I do go with the concentrate with sugar, do I just subtract the amount of sugar I am using from how much priming sugar I was planning on using? Never ran into this issue before...
Yep. I've primed with syrups and juice concentrates using the g/serving of sugar on the label. 14g = 0.5oz
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958