Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg carbonation?/Beer gun?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline metaltec15

• 1st Kit
Keg carbonation?/Beer gun?
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:42:17 pm »
I am relatively new to kegging.  I have a beer that I carbonated at 30 psi for 5 days.  I would occasionally shake the keg to help dissolve CO2 into beer. This is being carbed at about 62 degrees.  After sampling tonight(serving pressure about 5 PSI) The beer tasted flat, but it came out with a lot of foam and alot of sediment.  I am wanting to bottle this whole keg off with the beer gun, but this will be my first time using the beer gun.  Any suggestions on what is going on and how I would be able to solve it?

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Keg carbonation?/Beer gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »
Carb the keg at a much lower temp, like 38-40*. CO2 comes out of solution much faster at higher temps. 
And I would leave it at 30 psi for only 24-48 hours, then drop to a lower pressure, or you may overcarb it, which will make it very foamy also
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:35:19 am »
For the beergun to work optimally the beer and the bottles need to be cold.  Once the beer is cold and carbonated the way you want it set your regulator to 3 or 4 psi and relieve the pressure on the keg.  Otherwise it will come out way too fast and you won't end up with any beer in the bottles. 
Here's another hint for the beergun.  Have a growler full of Starsan to put the beergun wand in when you are capping or getting another bottle.
The Beergun is a great product, but it can be temperamental until you get the hang of it.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:03:33 pm »
I have found it helpful to make a holder for 6 to 12 bottles as well.   I started out with wanting to create a bottle holder... (at least until I grow a thrid hand) ... and then shortly after I found that it was nice to be able to fill 6 to 12 at a time, then cap them. 

Having a holder for the bottle while filling also has reduced my bottle tipping.  One other thing I have found useful, is to fill the bottles over a cookie sheet, that way any overflows (which are not a bad thing!) are contained.

Enjoy!!!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline metaltec15

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »
Thank you for the advice.  I will have to give it a try and if it does not work I guess I will have to brew more beer and keep trying till it works. :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:37 pm »
As stated you need to have the beer cold, and the bottles cold. It also helps to run beer through the gun so that it becomes cold.

Having a "holster" is good advice. I fill the bottles in a 5 gallon kettle to collect overflow.

One thing that you also need to do with the beer gun is to learn how to disassemble, clean, and sanitize. Then learn how to reassemble. After a few times you can do it quickly.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:53:27 am »
I like to chill the beer as cold as possible ~32 before bottling.  For average carbonated beers I have found that it is more important that the bottles are wet rather than being cold.  As long as I am pushing the beer with only 3-4 psi I get very little foaming.  For highly carbonated beers i do chill the bottles. 

I have a growler with a little star san in it to hold the gun between bottles and place the bottle in a small saucepan to catch any overflow.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National