Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast starter life span.  (Read 14546 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Yeast starter life span.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 01:20:32 pm »
My LHBS is awful, and I don't feel like ordering more yeast from Northern Brewer unless I want to tap into my kid's college fund to pay for express shipping.

With a 1.4L / 2 vial starter, would you suggest I decant, add 500 mL of fresh worth into the slurry, then put that on a stir-plate for a few hours the morning of the brew-day?

*** sorry for hijacking the post and making it all about me  :P***

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
My LHBS is awful, and I don't feel like ordering more yeast from Northern Brewer unless I want to tap into my kid's college fund to pay for express shipping.

With a 1.4L / 2 vial starter, would you suggest I decant, add 500 mL of fresh worth into the slurry, then put that on a stir-plate for a few hours the morning of the brew-day?

*** sorry for hijacking the post and making it all about me  :P***

do you have the ability to make 2(two) 750 ml starters? if so I would do that, decant, pitch half of your original starter into each and then proceed as you suggest.

growth is partially dependent on starting population and if the starting population is too high in relation to the volume of the starter you get poor to no growth.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:55 pm »
If I had the kegs available I would ferment in a corny for sure. every time I see those shiny 10 gallon cornies it makes me think. Being able to ferment at pressure is a big advantage!
Yeah I have 2 of those 10 gallon cornies I use to ferment in.  They are really nice.  Picked one up for $15... the other $130 :(.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:14:01 am »
Yup, I can make two 750mL starters.  As always, thanks for the tip.