Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time to try something new  (Read 4880 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Time to try something new
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:10 am »
I may try that eventually. I need to find a Scottish commercial so I know what its supposed to be.

I am a big fan of Dirty Bastard and Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing.

I'm not sure it is available nationally or where you are.

Ralph R.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:13 am »
Grant's Scottish Ale might have better distribution.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:46 pm »
Grant's Scottish Ale might have better distribution.
I haven't had this in years, but I recall it being way overly hoppy for Scottish Ale.
Look for Belhaven.  I think it has national distribution.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
Found a bomber of Pelican Pub & Brewery (Pacific City, Orygon) MacPelican Scottish Style Ale. They must have labeled it during the gubment shut down cuz it doesn't have the ABV anywhere on it.

Its about 10-12 SRM, light-medium body, creamy white head dissipates no lacing. Crystal clear reddish brown color. Carmely aroma. Mild hop bitterness, nonexistent hop aroma. Guessing Willamette or Mt Hood hops, probably 20-30 IBU. Well carbed and the sparkle makes up for low hops. Taste is a low L crystal or BK caramelized, mild sweetness no where close to cloying.

Never had a Scot before so nothing to compare with. I like it. I could throw darts and listen to a piper all night to this.

By the way, they must use really fresh pelican. Can barely tasted it.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:03 pm »
I don't know what level of scottish you are looking for (60/- 70/- 80/- or Scotch) but Boundary Bay makes a damn tasty scotch ale, which I think gets to that side of the state.

If you end up on this side of the state, Black Raven Second Sight Scotch is really tasty.

IIRC, Pelican makes a pretty tasty scotch as well, and they have very good distribution in WA.

If all else fails, Pike Kilt-Lifter is a pretty decent one as well, though it isn't my favorite. I also think Yakima Craft Brewing makes one, but don't quote me on that.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 09:58:35 pm »
In the Gorge, this is the 1st Scott I've ever seen

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 12:53:38 pm »
Update:

Late November I brewed a Mild and an IPA with 1728, and a Lager with 2112. All three at 55° with 10ml of Clarity Ferm from White Labs.

The Mild finished first and is gone already. Fantastic stuff! Had this awesome carmely raisin taste with a faint hint of what I guess you would describe as smoke, but not smoke.

The Lager is my best yet by a long shot. Crystal clear and slightly malt forward just like I wanted. Beautiful beer and I'm quite happy with it.

I tapped the IPA yesterday and just poured one. (5 o'clock somewhere) For having a half pound of pellets (Mosaic and Simcoe) is much more clean than I've done in the past. Great tasting! Getting rid of the fruity 1056 and trading in the clean, Scotty-smoke really mellowed the dank rank and brings out the clean bitter the way I expect in a well made IPA. Hop flavors dance now between orange to mango to tangerine.

I've also trimmed about 1/2" off the bottom of my keg out-tubes. First pour crystal clear.

I'm jazzed to try my next batches cuz they will be the first ones since getting my water right.