Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: a different lagering question  (Read 2621 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
a different lagering question
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »
I'm doing my first lager, it is still fermenting and I haven't done a diacetyl rest yet.  When it comes to lagering, my plan was to transfer into a corney keg.

My question is, can I carbonate while it is in the lagering phase?  Or should I wait until lagering is complete before I hook up the CO2?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: a different lagering question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
I'm doing my first lager, it is still fermenting and I haven't done a diacetyl rest yet.  When it comes to lagering, my plan was to transfer into a corney keg.

My question is, can I carbonate while it is in the lagering phase?  Or should I wait until lagering is complete before I hook up the CO2?

Either way works fine.  I almost always carb while lagering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:14:57 pm »
+1 to lagering and carbing at the same time.  However, I have found it to my advantage to keep the pressure down a couple of pounds or so while at 32 or 33 degrees.  When you transfer to the Kegerator you won't have foaming problems.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:42 am »
Thanks! I always wondered if there would be any difference in the two methods other than the additional time to carbonate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »
I like to crash cool for a couple days to a couple weeks in the primary before transferring and lagering in the keg. After I keg, I'll hook the gas up if I have a free gas line.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:11:49 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »
+1 to lagering and carbing at the same time.  However, I have found it to my advantage to keep the pressure down a couple of pounds or so while at 32 or 33 degrees.  When you transfer to the Kegerator you won't have foaming problems.

and +2 to being careful not to overcarbonate while lagering. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:53:03 am »

and +2 to being careful not to overcarbonate while lagering. 

I have noticed a little excessive foaming, so I carb them up and then pull them off CO2 after a week or so - when I remember!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"