Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixing UK and US base malts for UK styles  (Read 2955 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Mixing UK and US base malts for UK styles
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »
Initially, I was thinking of making an 80/- Scottish Ale from Fawcett's Golden Promise (GP) with a touch of roasted barley.  After some research, it appears that Fawcett GP has a diastatic potential (DP) of about 50 lintner, which is about the minimum to self convert.  Then I thought I should use some US 2-row (~20-25% of the grain bill) to bump up the DP and hopefully maintain my usual efficiency. [Scots are known for being thrifty so I wouldn't be surprised if they used some high DP malt, perhaps distiller's malt]

Now I'm concerned that I might loose to much of that GP character by having a more efficient mash. Any thoughts on mixing UK & US base malts for UK styles?

Thanks,

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Mixing UK and US base malts for UK styles
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »
I don't think you will have a problem with a 50 Lintner malt. IIRC, my scotch ale was mashed at 153 for 90 minutes, and that should be good enough for full conversion. Go 120 if you really want to be on the safe side.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »
I have used Golden Promise exclusively as the base malt for my Scottish Ales for several years and never had any problems with conversion. That includes the full range from 60/- to Strong Scotch Ales. No need to "water down" the GP with US 2-row.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:48:26 pm »
It gets iffy when the DP is 35-40 Lintner for Dark Munich, as an example. 50 should convert.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:18 pm »
I have gone through a few sacks of GP and never had any issues. In fact with the Simpsons I was getting a couple extra points vs us 2 row, and had to use less to hit my og- terrible problem;-)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:38:12 pm »
I have gone through a few sacks of GP and never had any issues. In fact with the Simpsons I was getting a couple extra points vs us 2 row, and had to use less to hit my og- terrible problem;-)
had to look on the webs as Simpsons is lighter, about 2-2.5 Lovibond, and it is around 70 Lintner. No problem with that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline cakey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:25:42 pm »
Doesn't 6 row generally have a higher DP than 2 row?  So could you add a comparatively smaller amount of 6 row as compared to 2 row malt to raise your over all DP with less grain?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »
Doesn't 6 row generally have a higher DP than 2 row?  So could you add a comparatively smaller amount of 6 row as compared to 2 row malt to raise your over all DP with less grain?

you COULD but why WOULD you? I have mashed 100% munich malt with no problems with conversion. I don't believe that any low color malt is going to have a problem.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 08:09:42 am »
Thanks for the input.  I'm going to retain 2-row for convenience reasons, but cut back on the amount since I don't need it for conversion/efficiency. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:28 am »

The DP of 2 row and 6 row is so close these days that it's really not a consideration.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 09:57:32 am »

The DP of 2 row and 6 row is so close these days that it's really not a consideration.

Briess has their 6 row at 180 Lintner, and the 2 row at 160 Lintner. Both of those are pretty high in enzymes, so the difference in amount added to get to the same weighted average DP would be low.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:18:32 am »

Briess has their 6 row at 180 Lintner, and the 2 row at 160 Lintner. Both of those are pretty high in enzymes, so the difference in amount added to get to the same weighted average DP would be low.

Yep.  To my mind, you can pretty much just forget there's a difference for all practical purposes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell