Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apricot in an ale?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline vanwolfhausen

• 1st Kit
Apricot in an ale?
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:56:30 pm »
Ok I know this isn't for everyone but, I had a Dogfishhead Apri hop beer and I actually liked it.  Could I have a keg of it and not get sick of it?  WHo knows?  But, my wife loved it so at least if I get sick of it she won't.  I was thinking of what hops to use in it and figured I would go with citrusy hops like Amarillo and Cascade.  What do you guys think? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Apricot in an ale?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »
It seems like a good approach, but the question is will those hops enhance the apricot or get in its way?  I'm gonna have to do some visualization with my taste imagination....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:16 pm »
Amarillo seems like a good choice based on the write-up on the brewery's site:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/seasonal-brews/aprihop.htm

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bobh

• 1st Kit
    • Dry Wolf Brewing co.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:13:52 am »
I brewed a APA this past fall with homegrown Cascade and Centennial hops (Cascade as the late addition and dry hop) and while I didn't add any fruit it had a major apricot aroma which was surprising but really nice.  I used US05 yeast, which is usually pretty clean so I don't think it was the yeast.  Anyway, from the way that beer tasted I would think at least the casacde or similar citrusy hops would work well.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:44:06 am »
I brewed a beer I called Hopricot that was inspired by the Aprihop by Dogfish.  It was a pretty standard APA but lighter on hops than normal.  I have the recipe at home which I can check later, but I think it had a couple of Amarillo additions.  Then in secondary I put it on several pounds of pureed apricots, and dry-hopped it with half an ounce of Amarillo and half an ounce of Palisade.  You could probably do all Palisade as has a definite apricot aroma, so it does compliment the apricot.  I also added just a dribble of Apricot flavoring at kegging, just to get a little more apricot flavor in there.  It came in at about 6% ABV and my friends went nuts on it last summer.  A fruit beer that is still kinda hoppy.

Offline vanwolfhausen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:39 am »
I was thinking of taking it light with the hops and just using Amarillo and maybe some cascade.  I plan on only using 2oz extract in keg.  If it turns out crappy oh well. ;D