Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Got a Wood or Coal burnin stove?  (Read 5167 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Got a Wood or Coal burnin stove?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:04:13 am »
Wait, must be natural gas in your neck of the woods. Or do they let you burn wood with an indoors fireplace?

Wood is completely kosher. My fireplace was built in 1925 and while a lot of folks confuse it for a Batchelder tile fireplace, it's actually from a competitor that was called Claycraft that exist in the 20's and 30's here in LA. The three little mural tiles are worth about $200-6000 a piece. (You can see one vertical on the right hand side)

Welcome to Southern California where in the 20's-40's, there was a really strong style movement for these hand crafted tile fireplaces with hand painted mural blocks. Move into the 50's and the crimes happened where folks would just paint over it with white paint.

These days original tiles are so coveted that tile shops around SoCal will come in and for free - pull the tiles, clean up the mess and build you a new surround - just so they can get the tiles. Sometimes you have unknowing owners and flippers who buy a place with an original Batchelder or Claycraft fireplace and they destroy the tiles when they remove the fireplace. Crying shame. (Interestingly, Batchelder was Cal Tech's Pottery instructor. I live about ~12 blocks from Cal Tech)

Here's the fireplace

It has a really short firebox, so it reflects a lot of heat back into the room. And yes, that is a fat chihuahua roasting his belly.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:02 am »
We've got 3 fireplaces and we never use them, they suck the heat out of the rest of the house and make it cold!  I really need an insert.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 06:53:57 am »
Wait, must be natural gas in your neck of the woods. Or do they let you burn wood with an indoors fireplace?

Wood is completely kosher. My fireplace was built in 1925 and while a lot of folks confuse it for a Batchelder tile fireplace, it's actually from a competitor that was called Claycraft that exist in the 20's and 30's here in LA. The three little mural tiles are worth about $200-6000 a piece. (You can see one vertical on the right hand side)

Welcome to Southern California where in the 20's-40's, there was a really strong style movement for these hand crafted tile fireplaces with hand painted mural blocks. Move into the 50's and the crimes happened where folks would just paint over it with white paint.

These days original tiles are so coveted that tile shops around SoCal will come in and for free - pull the tiles, clean up the mess and build you a new surround - just so they can get the tiles. Sometimes you have unknowing owners and flippers who buy a place with an original Batchelder or Claycraft fireplace and they destroy the tiles when they remove the fireplace. Crying shame. (Interestingly, Batchelder was Cal Tech's Pottery instructor. I live about ~12 blocks from Cal Tech)

Here's the fireplace

It has a really short firebox, so it reflects a lot of heat back into the room. And yes, that is a fat chihuahua roasting his belly.

Had to ask, as friends in OC explained the outdoor grill and fireplace had to be natural gas, sparks causing fire was what they said. They are from the Midwest though, may not be the true reason?

In the "D" Pewabic Pottery is still in business. One of the few left in the country from the craftsman, art tile era. If a craftsman home in my village is for sale, Pewabic tiles are always listed as a feature.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 07:11:29 am »
Our woodstove is a Woodstock Soapstone.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:16 am »
Had to ask, as friends in OC explained the outdoor grill and fireplace had to be natural gas, sparks causing fire was what they said. They are from the Midwest though, may not be the true reason?

Depending upon where they live, it's entirely possible that they have outdoor fire restrictions. Some folks are so backed into the "wilderness" that they could easily spark a bad blaze. Half of SoCal is perpetually ready to go "whoompf" and catch on fire. I do know where I'm at there is a restriction on open chimneys. (Aka, my chimney has to have a spark arrestor on it)

In the "D" Pewabic Pottery is still in business. One of the few left in the country from the craftsman, art tile era. If a craftsman home in my village is for sale, Pewabic tiles are always listed as a feature.

Looking online - it seems like the Pewabic tiles are way more colorful than the bog standard Batchelder and Claycraft's, which are almost always dominated by a chocolate brown tile scheme (like what you see in my photo). I do love these old fashionedhand crafted bits.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
We have similar burn restrictions during the summer here in Texas because we get some bad wildfires. I don't do a very good job of paying attention to the bans because every time I pull out the smoker I find out halfway through there is a ban in effect. Can't take the meat off half cooked...
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 08:38:31 am »

Depending upon where they live, it's entirely possible that they have outdoor fire restrictions. Some folks are so backed into the "wilderness" that they could easily spark a bad blaze. Half of SoCal is perpetually ready to go "whoompf" and catch on fire. I do know where I'm at there is a restriction on open chimneys. (Aka, my chimney has to have a spark arrestor on it)

Looking online - it seems like the Pewabic tiles are way more colorful than the bog standard Batchelder and Claycraft's, which are almost always dominated by a chocolate brown tile scheme (like what you see in my photo). I do love these old fashionedhand crafted bits.
Our fireplace insert is a Vermont casting unit with a granite surround, and a catalytic combuster.

Mrs. R is a big Charlie Harper fan. She wants to go to the Dec. clearance sale at this place in AA.
https://www.motawi.com
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
I don't do a very good job of paying attention to the bans...

Here it's almost impossible to not know about "Red Flag" days unless you're sealed off in a bubble. They're on the news, you get emails, the fire department robocalls, etc. Doesn't matter if you're not in the red flag area directly - you're still going to get an earful! And the tickets for violating a red flag are pretty serious, too.

Mrs. R is a big Charlie Harper fan. She wants to go to the Dec. clearance sale at this place in AA.

I can see why. Those tiles are gorgeous. Wouldn't fit in my house at all, but they're damn pretty.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:19 pm »
Vermont castings here as well, it is a free standing brick lined coal burning catalytic unit also.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 11:45:24 pm »
I grew up with a really nice jotul cast iron that was a champ. not a big unit but it kept a 1800 sq/ft house toasty when the power went out in january and it got down to 20+ below
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce