Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trick-or-treat  (Read 9416 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Trick-or-treat
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2013, 03:40:27 pm »
Discovered a new candy (for me) this year - Nerds.  Damn things are addictive.

Welcome to 1983
Please tell me you looked it up to know when they were released . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »
I'm excited for the remake of Avitar with Christopher Walken

Is he addicted to Nerds too?  I thought he was into cowbells.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2013, 04:09:11 pm »
Well, yes. To a degree, I would think he, would be addicted to nerds. Why not? I mean, their nerds.

(should be read in a mental impersonation of Walken for full enjoyment)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »
- but for the third year in a row I noted that not one said thank you

Sad! But to be expected these days.
No, not acceptable.  I told my kids if I didn't hear them say thank you they would have to go back and knock again just for that.  They didn't forget.

SWMBO won't leave until the boys say "Thank you". There is an expectation of normal human decency in our household.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2013, 06:04:59 pm »
We get 1,000 kids.  It is insane.  It will be raining steadily throughout the evening so we'll see if that reduces turnout.
Me too.  I live in a subdivision and nearly everybody has school age kids - that's the scary part of Halloween for me. We buy a sane amount of candy to give out and when it's gone, show's over for us. But the dogs go insane.  I swear I'd rather go to the dentist.   :(
Ok, I thought I'd follow up this "Hey you kids off my lawn..." posting.  I have (and love) kids, have been through many Halloween rodeos. But, trick or treating was tonight in Central Indiana, as we had high winds, heavy rain, and all-around bad weather last night. As mentioned,  we have an immense number of young kids , K -12, in this subdivision.  But  :

1.  Maybe 1/3 of the kids said thank you.

2.  One (~17 y/o female) basically demanded the type of candy she wanted.  I thought I had given it to her (I had BTW), and she angrily informed me that I hadn't . So she stood there, tapping her foot, until I told her to go to some other house "where she could stomp and get her way" . True story.

3.  I went to my next door neighbor's place for literally ~ 1.5 minutes to give him a homebrewed Dubbel (which made him smile immensely) and I turned around to watch a kid trying to steal most of my candy from a fold out table I had set up 30 feet away. I politely terrified him into giving it back.

Morale of the story  -  be very careful, and fortify yourself with homebrew if you choose/ are unfortunate enough to move into a large subdivision with lots of kids.  Be warned   :)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:44:43 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »
We are spared the woes of candy bums, but we have something worse two weeks prior. Its call Opening Day.