Author Topic: Trick-or-treat  (Read 2579 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Re: Trick-or-treat
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »
We live in the middle of nowhere and the people around here don't have kids.  I haven't seen a trick or treater in over 20 years.

Same here, youngest neighbor kid is in college.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
We get quite a few...but I'll be out with my grandson (4yr old) this year. Looking forward to being with the little guy this year. Hopefully, I'll run into someone with a homebrew. :)
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• Brewmaster General
  • [1131.2, 279.6] Apparent Rennerian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »
We live in the middle of nowhere and the people around here don't have kids.  I haven't seen a trick or treater in over 20 years.

Over 10 years  here..... +1/2
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
After living in places that never saw more than 1 or 2 per year I lost the spirit. Now that I'm in a place where we get lots of ToTers I find that I hide in the garage with my kegs and freezers.
Thank you BEER!

Online BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
My wife said never again, after dealing with a bunch of snotty and ungrateful kids last year. We're turning off the lights and going out to dinner.

My mother hates trick-or-treat and actually gave out foil-wrapped rocks one year. I'm still amazed we didn't get any broken windows out of the deal. Now she lets my dad handle things  ;D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
My mother hates trick-or-treat and actually gave out foil-wrapped rocks one year. I'm still amazed we didn't get any broken windows out of the deal. Now she lets my dad handle things  ;D
Your mom doesn't live in North Dakota, does she?

http://www.today.com/moms/swapping-letters-candy-trick-or-treat-8C11493000
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
My wife said never again, after dealing with a bunch of snotty and ungrateful kids last year. We're turning off the lights and going out to dinner.

Wow,  you did get lucky.
Thank you BEER!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 11:01:21 AM »
Happy Halloween!

Flaming Bag of Poo!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
Here in Des Miones (where they can't read calendars) trick or treating was last night.  I took my youngest daughter out and walked for around 2 hours. 

My wife handed out the candy.  She said we got about 20.  That's up from last few years.  The economy stopped the housing turnover that keeps young kids and their children in the neighborhood.  Houses are selling again and the kid count is increasing.

I think we're just about done for awhile though.  My youngest is 13 so she may go a year or 2 more.  Then I don't have to wander around in the dark on 10/30. 

Long gone are the days of neighbors sitting in the driveway handing candy to the kids and adult beverages to the parents.  The first year I took the kids out my wife was at a loss for how I came back so lubricated.   Beer, wine and one full bar; our neighborhood used to be a lot of fun.  ;D

Happy Halloween!!  Don't let the boogieman get you.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »
I hope this new neighborhood has a good Halloween turnout next year - I've been wanting to hand out candy to kids and beers to parents since I started homebrewing. No one trick or treats in apartment complexes, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll actually get to do something next year!
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
We're taking our little one (Almost 3 now) for the first real trick or treat trip. just up the block and back, maybe hit three or four houses. We got him a tiny treat pail so he can't get too much.

He's gonna be a fire engine

Same here.  My daughter turned 3 this year.  This is the first year she's into it.  My wife just dressed her up as something the last 2 years, but this year she knew what she wanted to dress up as and everything.  So we'll be out walking the pirate princess around the neighborhood to see how much candy she can plunder in her small bucket.  LOL

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
Hmmm, how about a sign, No Trespass (This includes candy mooching) or We don't celebrate Halloween, its evil. All visitors will be preached to and baptized.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
Hmmm, how about a sign, No Trespass (This includes candy mooching) or We don't celebrate Halloween, its evil. All visitors will be preached to and baptized.
;D... and provided with literature...  ;D
Thank you BEER!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
We only got about 50 kids at home this year, but I was out walking the neighborhood with the kids.  And an insulated stainless growler full of mulled cider, and a bottle of apple jack, and some whiskey, and some spare cups for random parents we ran into.  Then we ducked into the neighbors for some beer because we ran out of drinks.

The kids ran from house to house for 90 minutes or so, while we hung out in the street socializing.  In the end they asked to go home because they were too tired and their candy bags were too heavy (I refuse to carry them, except on the way home).
Tom Schmidlin

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:25 AM »

Same here. No kid would be crazy enough to be out here lest they be eaten by coyotes. ;) Never had a trick or treater here and most likely never will. Kids have to be shipped off to another neighborhood altogether.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner