Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chemistry of Beer  (Read 10965 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Chemistry of Beer
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:49:48 am »
This mioght be of interest to some:
    https://janux.ou.edu/#!HTML/OU/CHEM4970_Chemistry_of_Beer.chem_4970_001_chemistry_of_beer

According to the description: This course covers the process of brewing from grain to final bottle product and the chemical and biochemical process involved in each step. Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic chemistry to understand: analytical techniques in brewing, chemistry of the ingredients and products, and the molecules involved in the biochemical processes. During the course, students will also learn the similarities and differences between beer styles, home and commercial brewing processes, and analytical techniques. There is a great deal of Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry involved in the malting, mashing and fermentation process and understanding the chemistry behind the flavor, aroma, and color of beer. Students should have a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry.

Free online course on the chemistry of beer taught through the University of Oklahoma.

I looked in the discussion boards and didn't see this posted and thougth I would pass it on.
Ralph R.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Chemistry of Beer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:03:11 am »
Thanks for posting.  Prereqs for taking the class for credit are senior standing.  It sounds pretty advanced. 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:10:04 am »
Looks interesting, but I don't think I have the desire to go that deep into the tall grass.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:02:12 am »
Looks cool and it is free.  Also some others on there that look interesting.  Thanks for the link.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:19 am »
I signed up.  I took a fair amount of organic chemistry, but no biochem so I expect some of the course content to go over my head.  Below is the welcome letter:

Dear Roger,

Thank you for signing up for “Chemistry of Beer,” an open version of a popular course in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma.

You are about to embark on a one-of-a-kind learning experience through Janux. More importantly, you are joining a true learning community built to connect, engage, and inspire all who wish to learn.

Feel free to spread the word around about the course by forwarding this email or sharing about it through social media. Encourage your friends to join, add them as a friend, and then form a study group on the platform.

If you are a current OU student, you have the option to enroll in this course for credit. Enroll at ozone.ou.edu with the corresponding course number: CHEM 4970.

Expect more information soon as we get closer to the course start date, January 13, 2014. Looking forward to connecting soon!

All the Best,

Dr. Mark Morvant
Professor, Department of Chemistry
University of Oklahoma

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:10 am »
I signed up as well.  Looks interesting, is free and I don't have to worry about a grade.  My undergrad degree was pre-med so I had plenty of chemistry but that was over 25 years ago so I'm sure I'll be a bit rusty!
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »
signed up as well... Now to see if it melts my mind in January...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:58 pm »
Forget college, what about high school???

http://www.9news.com/news/article/362222/188/High-school-beer-brewing-class-draws-concern-

(Biology would have been a lot for interesting for me if I had that class; beats the hell out of dissecting fetal pigs).

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »
Forget college, what about high school???

http://www.9news.com/news/article/362222/188/High-school-beer-brewing-class-draws-concern-

(Biology would have been a lot for interesting for me if I had that class; beats the hell out of dissecting fetal pigs).
The comments are the best part of that "news" story.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »
I've been getting interested in trying to get into water but afraid it's either over my head or an endless maze of rabbit trails. I tried reading Martin's page and got lost quick. Anyone know of a water for dummies source?

I need to send a sample to Ward for starts.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 01:48:34 pm »
I signed up as well.  Looks interesting, is free and I don't have to worry about a grade.  My undergrad degree was pre-med so I had plenty of chemistry but that was over 25 years ago so I'm sure I'll be a bit rusty!

Yea, it's been close to 30 years for me since I have had chemistry and biochem. I figure I won't be too concerned about not understanding some of the material since there's no grade and just learning what I want and can understand.
Ralph R.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 02:05:44 am »
Cool, I signed up for it too.  Looking forward to it. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 04:46:15 am »
No OChem in my background.  Even the Water class offered at the site has me wondering if I'd be in over my head.  Gotta finish the Water book first, at least....and I'm only at the third chapter of that! (I'm still brewing this weekend despite my ignorance, I mean, hey, I made the starter!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 10:46:56 am »
I'm in too. It's been a while since I've needed to refer to my Ochem background, but in my experience a rudimentary understanding of most basic Ochem concepts will be enough to get you through most classes that consider this a prerequesite. Of course, this is a chem class so I may be wrong. If I start seeing diagrams on which way electrons are moving across a bond I'll probably drop out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:44 am »
I'll probably be in. Sounds cool. I might just make a semester of it and take Intro to Water, Intro to Sociology, and the Personal and Civil Rights Class.
Frank