General Category > Equipment and Software

Tall Boy kettles and False bottoms

(1/1)

restlesnativ:
Hello everyone,
  I have been a member here for several months. I haven't submitted posts here due to having most of my questions answered through the forum search function. (the information resource here is amazing)That being said my friend and I are finishing up on a Brutus build and have decided on using the Northern brewer tall boy kettles. I wanted to go with a domed false bottom as there does not seem to be an option for a sized false bottom for these kettles. I was wondering if anyone has used a domed false bottom for these kettles and if so what kind of a connection did you use to attach it to the bulkhead. We are planning on the 15 gallon kettles the dimensions are 15.5 Wide x 18.7 Tall.Would definitely appreciate any and all feedback, if you own and like/don't like it, if you recommend a different kettle over this for a Brutus system, if you have found an alternative to using a domed false bottom, etc...
Thanks in advance, Cheers.

tschmidlin:
My false bottoms are made of perforated stainless (roughly 1/16" holes, evenly spaced) that are cut to fit the mash tun and kettle.  They are held off of the bottom with stainless bolts/nuts, a bunch around the outside plus one in the middle to support it.

restlesnativ:
Are you using tallboys? Did you have your false bottoms built to fit?

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: restlesnativ on November 01, 2013, 04:03:14 AM ---Are you using tallboys? Did you have your false bottoms built to fit?

--- End quote ---
They are converted kegs, not tall boys.  But yes, the false bottoms were cut to fit (and pretty much only fit one way since they are not perfectly round).

restlesnativ:
Thank you for the feedback. We gave it some thought over the weekend and I think we are going to make our own. Judging by what I've seen for full false bottoms out there I think we can fabricate something to fit. Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version