General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Fermenting Times

(1/3) > >>

gcam333:
I am going to start my first batch next week. Midwest's -Autumn Ale. Typically would 7 days primary, 4 weeks secondary,
3 weeks minimum in the bottle be sufficient?  ( at 70-74 degrees) I don't want to screw up my first batch.

dbeechum:
You'll be fine.. hell, when I used to bottle it was

1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
2 weeks bottle and go!

Later it become 1-1-2

a10t2:
I'd worry more about a week in primary not being enough, than any problems with secondary/bottling. It's possible that fermentation wouldn't be finished after 7 days.

70-74°F may be warmer than you want for most yeasts too.

euge:
Bottle out of primary when the gravity hasn't changed for several days. Track the time don't let it dictate when you do anything like rack to secondary, bottle or keg.

Usually for a mid-strength beer such as 1.050-60 a couple weeks in primary will be sufficient. Check the gravity a couple times. Then go to the bottling bucket if it is ready. Secondary isn't really important or necessary to achieve clarity. Time will do this anyway in the bottle.

Secondary is a beneficial technique when adding fruit or even more hops to a batch in order for the additional sugar to ferment and add flavor/color to the brew. This could be done at the end in primary as well.

People will tell ya that the practice of using Secondary techniques also risks contamination thus risking infected beer. It's more of a redundancy issue IMO.

Have fun with your first batch! Any questions just ask. You'll get an answer fairly quickly on this forum. ;D

gcam333:
Is there agreement here that with this recipe I could make a decent beer single stage.  What would be the benefits of carrying this to secondary. From what I've been reading I thought the secondary was almost mandatory to achieve maximum flavor and clearing of the brew. I appreciate all the help, I tend to obsess about the details on things like this.

Gcam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version