Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red-Nosed IPA Hops  (Read 1393 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Red-Nosed IPA Hops
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »

It's interesting to see the changes in recipe design and hop additions after a year. When I brewed a ten gallon batch of this beer last year, I used 6-8 oz of hops. This year's five gallon batch will have 17.5 oz of hops in it from FWH to keg additions. America!
Frank

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Red-Nosed IPA Hops
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:52:04 pm »
Wow, looks like it will be delicious!  What's your OG for this yr's version?
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »
The target gravity is 1.067, but for my last two beers, I've run .003 high. This beer could be a trend setter to up my calculated efficiency. The recipe was originally modeled after SN Celebration IPA, so unlike my other IPAs, this one has 60L English caramels. The hops utilized are chinook, cascade, and centennials.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:06:25 pm »
Sounds great Frank !  SN Celebration is such a good beer and a platform to take in your own direction. A good combo of hops and plenty of them.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
Sounds great Frank !  SN Celebration is such a good beer and a platform to take in your own direction. A good combo of hops and plenty of them.

Thanks, Jon! It is really tough to beat these old faithful hops. A year ago I was trying not to over do the hops... Now we try to push the envelope.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:22:46 pm »
You know it !  All the new varieties out there make it even more fun.
Jon H.