Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator faucet location  (Read 2046 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Kegerator faucet location
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:56:52 am »
What's the consensus on where everyone installs the faucet?  I'm leaning towards putting the faucet on the door, this way I can keep the top clear for storage.  My one concern is my 2 1/2 year old daughter, who already loves the smell of hops.  I figure to get around that, I'll just put the whole fridge on something sturdy that I can double up as storage... condo living in the city has its limitations. 

Any pros/cons of going with the door route?  I see the biggest pro would be not cutting cooling lines on the top and killing the fridge.   

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Kegerator faucet location
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:20 pm »
You could do that and get a faucet lock.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »
I built a collar for mine, but it sounds like yours is a mini-fridge of some kind?  What brand/model?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:15:05 am »
My kegerator is an old freezer-on-the-top refrigerator that already had a single tap on the door when I got it. I've since added two more. But I'm limited in the height of the tap handles that I can use and still be able to open the freezer door. Not huge issue, but one to consider.

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:19:59 pm »
I've been scoping out a fridigaire frc445gm 4.4cubic foot mini fridge. I live in Hoboken so space is a premium. Conversion kit will be from beverage factory or maybe Williams, and I'm going to treat  myself to a nice tap from Perlick. I've also never heard of a faucet lock, but I'll definitely add that to the setup.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »
Keep in mind that the standard faucet locks don't fit the Perlick faucets.  I haven't seen faucet locks advertised to fit Perlicks.  You could just close the valve on your CO2 tank or put a shutoff valve in the CO2 line.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »
Keep in mind that the standard faucet locks don't fit the Perlick faucets.  I haven't seen faucet locks advertised to fit Perlicks.  You could just close the valve on your CO2 tank or put a shutoff valve in the CO2 line.
You would need shut off valve on beer out because keg will still contains Pressure even thou you shut off CO2.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:47:50 am »
Putting taps through the door was one of the options I was looking at for converting a minifridge. It never happened so I eventually bought a Danby chill-n-tap from Costco in Bridgewater. Not all the Costcos have them.  It comes with a dual guage regulator, 5lb co2 tank and sanke fittings.  I replaced the single tap with a tower with a tower with two perlicks. I put the probe for my johnson controller and the gas line from one regulator through a hole in the back for the gas line. I cut the sanke fittings and replaced them with flare fittings.  I can fit two corneys another 5lbco2 tank and regulator for the second keg, some beer bottles and mason jars of yeast in there. I'm really happy with this purchase so far.

The taps being on top have kept my daughter away, but its only a matter of time.  I have done a little(very little research) to find Perlick locks and there are some available:
http://www.amazon.com/Perlick-Wrap-Around-Draft-Beer-Faucet/dp/B000EH2RK0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Mark