Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Higher SG than OG?  (Read 6497 times)

Offline captnjohnny1618

• Cellarman
Re: Higher SG than OG?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »

I wouldn't think 1.030 beer would taste too watery.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have no idea what happened.  I'm guessing the mixing was pretty bad.  We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.  (Won't jump the gun on bottling though...)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:18 pm »
Nothing wrong with a 1.030 beer. On the weak side and watery? Depends on perspective. Sure. Got ya a lawnmower beer. Drink one too many of these 2.6 -3.0 ABV babies and you might just find yourself drunk.

I'll be brewing several of these this Spring and Summer. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:48 am »
Depends...a 1.030 OG beer is going to taste pretty light.  A 1.030 FG beer is going to taste much, much, much less watery!

It sounds like, to me, that the OG is not really known for sure here.  The F/SG is the only thing that can be measured sans a refractometer now, so hopefully that will drop significantly still.  I had a few beers finish around 1.030 but they were barleywines and very, very sweet.

Offline captnjohnny1618

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:13 am »
This is supposed to be a brown ale and I definitely don't think that it's finishing at 1.030.  It doesn't taste that sweet.  I think my SG readings were just way off. Both times.  Oh well.

Worse comes to worse, it's like Euge said: A lawnmower beer.  Seeing as I don't have a lawnmower though and for that matter a lawn (I live in a dorm) it'll have to serve as a homework beer! Better two of these than 2 of the porters I brewed: I can't get anything done after those!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:00 am »
When it is done, you'll be able to calculate your OG from your FG.

Haha dorm room brewery. You'll be a popular cap'n if everyone finds out!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »

If the OG isn't known, and he doesn't have a refractometer, how exactly is this possible?  I do this from time to time but the refractometer was (to my understanding) an essential part of the equation, in addition to a hydrometer.

Offline captnjohnny1618

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:02 pm »

Haha dorm room brewery. You'll be a popular cap'n if everyone finds out!

I can tell ABV by taste... not!  Haha.  I'm actually not that concerned with the finer points of this batch at this point. If it's drinkable and the bottles don't explode, I'll be happy with it.  I've had good luck with everything up to this point, and this isn't really that bad.  So no worries!

Here's a picture of my dorm room closet. It's a tight fit, but I've gotta make sure I have my priorities straight:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:36:17 pm by captnjohnny1618 »