Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: looking for a good deal on bulk hops  (Read 10754 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: looking for a good deal on bulk hops
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:55:19 am »
Citra can be a little "cat boxy" for me. But I think it's all about how it's handled or teamed up with or aged.

When I first tried simcoe I though "nasty" ! Then a couple weeks later it turned grapefruit and was super

I can do citra in moderate doses but not all citra.
Same here.  I think it works blended with 3 or 4 other hops but I can't take too much of it.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »
I can do citra in moderate doses but not all citra.
Same here.  I think it works blended with 3 or 4 other hops but I can't take too much of it.

Hard to do Citra in moderate doses since it's so potent. I like it, but it's too monotone for me to want to use it as the main hop in an IPA. Pairs nice with so many hops that I'll always keep it in my toolkit, though.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 01:43:35 pm »
My favorite place to buy hops is: http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/default.asp

Great prices, great service.  If I absolutely had to be limited to one hop it would be Citra.

And sadly I could not drink your IPA. :(

Thankfully, we all have different palates.  Though I have never tried an all-Citra IPA, since Citra is to expensive to 'waste' on just bittering.  Alpha Acids are Alpha Acids for the most part (Oh I know the whole low- cohumulone stuff, etc. - I don't want to start a whole NEW back-and-forth).

However, I have never encountered the 'cat box' thing I regularly hear about.  I'll attribute it to my awesome brewing skills.  ;)   

I love the fruitiness of Citra both in the aroma and flavor.  I have yet to taste or brew an IPA with too much Citra.  The last Citra-focused IPA I brewed had 1/2 pound of Citra in a 5 gallon batch.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline paloaf

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 01:53:45 pm »
The best place I've found is Hop Heaven from Ted Hausotter. Ted is very knowledgeable about what he sells and more importantly very nice and accommodating.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 01:56:17 pm »
I have done an all citra pale ale which is why I'm saying. Too much mango flavor to me. Not catty, but artificial tasting. Others who had it enjoyed it, though. But I still stand byy assertion that it is not a good single hop beer choice.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »
The best place I've found is Hop Heaven from Ted Hausotter. Ted is very knowledgeable about what he sells and more importantly very nice and accommodating.

THIS^^^  I've known Ted for years and started buying from him a few years ago.  Without a doubt, the best quality hops I've ever gotten.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 03:01:25 pm »

+1 - Forgot about Ted in my initial post. Great prices, service and selection. He gets some stuff you won't find elsewhere, too.
Eric B.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 03:13:04 pm »

+1 - Forgot about Ted in my initial post. Great prices, service and selection. He gets some stuff you won't find elsewhere, too.

I miss his sales each year - when are they happening this year?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jeepinctbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 04:48:17 pm »
Hmm how about using chinook and cascade, looking to build my own recipe

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 05:19:49 pm »

I miss his sales each year - when are they happening this year?

I preordered months ago. I think he's starting to ship some varieties now. You could shoot him an email to see what he's got left.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 05:27:33 pm »
Hmm how about using chinook and cascade, looking to build my own recipe
It works well.  I would bitter with the Chinook at 60 min, then blend the two hops for finishing. But the Chinook could overpower Cascade at 1:1, so I would blend it 2 parts Cascade : 1 part Chinook (or maybe 3:2 anyway). Or throw in some Centennial or Amarillo along with those for some more complexity. It'll make a nice IPA.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:54:22 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline jeepinctbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »
thanks!!!

Offline jeepinctbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 05:58:14 pm »
looks like i'm going to use chinook, cascade, and centennial. you think 4oz of each hop is enough for a ten gallon batch?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »
http://fourstarfarms.com/hops/  locally grown whole leaf hops here in MA.  The staff is very accommodating as well:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 06:09:42 pm »
looks like i'm going to use chinook, cascade, and centennial. you think 4oz of each hop is enough for a ten gallon batch?
I say use it as a starting point. Maybe  2 oz Chinook for bittering , finish with the blend of the rest. Personal tastes in hops vary widely - I use quite a bit. So use this amount, take good notes,  and you'll know how much to adjust next time.  Let us know how it comes out !
Jon H.