Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yellowhammer - Frankenhammer 2013  (Read 1693 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Yellowhammer - Frankenhammer 2013
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:36:22 pm »
This strong ale pours a deep rich garnet red. brilliant clarity. firm off white head that fades fairly quickly.

The aroma is warm malt and alcohol warmth. Slight candy cherry sweetness. Mild woody character. little to no hop aroma.

Flavour is sweet and malty, again some candy like cherry/brandy sweetness Little perceptible hop flavour but enough bitterness to provide some balance. Warming alcohol but not hot.

Mouthfeel is very sweet and rich, not cloying but for sure a sipper. The wood character comes through as a bracing mild astringency in the very end of the sip.

Overall a very enjoyable winter warmer to sip sitting by the fire. Pared well with homegrown green corn tamales and the second wood fire of the 'winter'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Yellowhammer - Frankenhammer 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:07:43 pm »
This strong ale pours a deep rich garnet red. brilliant clarity. firm off white head that fades fairly quickly.

The aroma is warm malt and alcohol warmth. Slight candy cherry sweetness. Mild woody character. little to no hop aroma.

Flavour is sweet and malty, again some candy like cherry/brandy sweetness Little perceptible hop flavour but enough bitterness to provide some balance. Warming alcohol but not hot.

Mouthfeel is very sweet and rich, not cloying but for sure a sipper. The wood character comes through as a bracing mild astringency in the very end of the sip.

Overall a very enjoyable winter warmer to sip sitting by the fire. Pared well with homegrown green corn tamales and the second wood fire of the 'winter'

Great review!  I'll be in B'ham this week to visit family and go to the Bama-lsu game Saturday.  Looking forward to grabbing some Yellowhammer brews while I'm there.  Wish I had time to drive up and check out the brewery...then again I just may be able to make time!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:08:41 am »
Thanks for the review, Jonathan. Hope you enjoyed my beer as much as I enjoyed yours.

Jeremy, I will not be at tasting room Saturday (doing a hike with Scouts with my son) but will be there Friday night and could make arrangements to meet you there Sunday if your able to make it.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:06:28 am »
Thanks for the review, Jonathan. Hope you enjoyed my beer as much as I enjoyed yours.

Jeremy, I will not be at tasting room Saturday (doing a hike with Scouts with my son) but will be there Friday night and could make arrangements to meet you there Sunday if your able to make it.

Thanks Keith!  I would love to come up but it's going to hard to squeeze in some time to do so this trip.  We get into B'ham Wed, make our way down to Tuscaloosa Friday and will be back in B'ham Sunday afternoon.  We've got family events that's filling up the rest of our time before we head back to Denver on Tuesday.  Our next trip back we will definitely plan in some time to stop by the tasting room and we may try to make the Magic City Brew Fest next year. 

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg