Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ginger  (Read 3029 times)

Offline tomas77

• 1st Kit
Ginger
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:30:52 am »
Wanted to brew a saison using ginger.  What would a good amount be?  Plan on using the root.  Thanks.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Re: Ginger
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:41 am »
This article ( http://byo.com/component/resource/article/1982-brewing-with-spices-techniques ) and the spreadsheet may help.  It says upto 6 ounces of freshly grated ginger for the last 15 minutes of the boil in a 5 gallon batch, max.

6 ounces seems like a lot to me, but I've never used it.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline tomas77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:02:53 am »
Thanks.  Was thinking about using 2 ounces so I might be safe.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:44 am »
Thanks.  Was thinking about using 2 ounces so I might be safe.

I did a ginger wit a few years back and used 1.5oz for 5g - you could definitely detect it, but it wasn't overpowering - 2oz should be nice - 6oz is a bit insane, if you ask me.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:41 am »
Depends on what you want, my Saison recipe that I responded with to your other post I used 28 grams for 10 gallons. I have doubled that much as well with good results in my Christmas Saison Noir (that beer was awesome). I have used much higher quantities when I wanted a real presence there, but for a Saison the trick is to have the spice in the background so that, when you drink the beer you say "Hmmmm .... what is that character?" If, when you make a Saison the person says "Hey, that's GINGER!" you screwed up.

Now, I used to make a Honey Gingered Ale with a Kolsch or a American Ale yeast and it was down right spicy. ;)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:05:43 am »
I did a ginger wit a few years back and used 1.5oz for 5g - you could definitely detect it, but it wasn't overpowering - 2oz should be nice - 6oz is a bit insane, if you ask me.

It seemed a bit insane to me too!  However I trust that the folks at BYO know more than me and that value was a maximum amount.  The article says start small and try more in the next batch until you get to a desired level.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:22:50 pm »
I have found that the root varies intensity...Some times it is powerful others not so much.
I'm in the 2oz range and don't venture too much because of the variable.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tomas77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:15:15 am »
When's the best time to add the ginger?  Full boil or at the end or in the secondary?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:54:06 am »
My experience is if you add it at the beginning of the boil you get more heat. End of the boil more flavor. On the recipe I posted for you I add it at 5 min.