Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Phenolic off-flavour issue  (Read 4822 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Phenolic off-flavour issue
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:33 am »
Not to raise the debate but I'm a huge fan of plastic, been using the same buckets for over 5 years with no infections in a single batch. They get soaked in OXY, sanitized with Star San and work perfectly fine. IME I find that infections are usually associated with something else in the process like spigots, tubing, keg set ups, infected starters, bottles, etc.

I was a huge fan of plastic for 12 years before it bit me square in the buttocks.  One day your luck may run out.  Take it from a guy who's been there.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 07:48:54 am »
After knowing two people with severe ligament damage, I use plastic 99% of the time. I have been using the same two six gallon better bottles for 3 years without issue.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 07:52:25 am »
to further derail this... I don't use plastic fermenters not because of fear of infection but because of flavor and aroma absorption.  I was finding I would get flavor carry overs from the buckets.  Even after doing things like 3 month long PBW soaks etc...  I switched to almost all stainless.  I will say that the better bottle plastic seems less porous than the bucket plastic and doesn't seem to absorb as much.

The phenolics could be due to a seasonal water change? Perhaps more chlorine being used?  Ferm temps?  Or it could just be said infection.  I would take the kegs apart wash with PBW and then fill about half way with sanitizer and leave them upright for a few days...and upside down for a few days (add pressure to the keg so they don't leak).
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 08:41:23 am »
I'd also wonder whether water had a part to play in those off flavors.

I find phenolic off flavors are usually related to a wild yeast contamination but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be bacterial. As others have said, careful and details cleaning and sanitation will resolve the problem.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 09:15:43 am »
Wild yeast is my guess. When it has happened to me, it has been pretty persistent.

I do an annual equipment refresh, replacing all hoses, boiling everything small, and hitting everything big with a different sanitizer (Iodophor instead of StarSan, as AmandaK suggested). I think the temporary sanitizer switch is important if it's wild yeast, which I think is harder to kill with those products than bacteria.

I dislike both plastic and glass for all the reasons mentioned. I ferment in Cornelius kegs. They're not trivial to clean, but still easier than carboys in my opinion.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 09:19:14 am »
I recently joined the "I hate plastic" club after way too many contaminated batches.  I switched to glass carboys last year and will never look back again.

And I've gone the opposite way.  No offense, Dave, but I look at it as a technique problem, not an equipment problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:40 am »
I recently joined the "I hate plastic" club after way too many contaminated batches.  I switched to glass carboys last year and will never look back again.

And I've gone the opposite way.  No offense, Dave, but I look at it as a technique problem, not an equipment problem.

I'm with Denny on this one.  I don't use buckets, but I do use Better Bottles and have had some of them for close to 10 years.  They work great.  I've had only a couple batches get infected over the years and I don't think it's related to the fermenters as I still use them and have no persistent problems.

I used to love my glass carboys but I got rid of them all last year after I cracked one with one of my kids nearby.  I just don't need the risk.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:43:40 am »
Graham, on the kegs a deep clean, use a dip tube brush, and soak in PBW. Replace all of the o-rings, or boil.
When you have the posts off, boil them, which will kill anything lurking in them. Don't forget to remove the lid o-ring and clean it and on the lid's lip where gunk can build up. Remove the PRV, clean, sanitize.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 01:46:38 pm »

I'm with Denny on this one.  I don't use buckets, but I do use Better Bottles and have had some of them for close to 10 years.  They work great.  I've had only a couple batches get infected over the years and I don't think it's related to the fermenters as I still use them and have no persistent problems.

I used to love my glass carboys but I got rid of them all last year after I cracked one with one of my kids nearby.  I just don't need the risk.

Nice to know I'm with good company on this one:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 02:35:22 pm »
Thanks all.
You should have seen the great reply I just spent 20 minutes crafting only to have it disappear somehow during the preview process.  It was brilliant.

Short version:
Water is well, no chlorine or chloramine, grain is fresh and other batches were fine.

Denny's right, my process is the problem but now I've got the problem so I need to get rid of it.
I'm now doing 15 gal batches so I have too many pails to lug around as it is.  I bet I have a bad pail but last night everything was tasting like band-aids in my mind.  It may be our new house and the fact that I brewed a lot more in winter than summer this year and it gets cold here in winter.  I've had a brett issue and now this since moving here and no issues at the old place and used plastic almost entirely.  I love the ease of cleaning etc with plastic and if it works for you, great.

Kegs will get washed thoroughly with dairy cleaners ( http://www2.dupont.com/Glycolic_Acid/en_US/assets/downloads/k16081_dairy_cleaner.pdf ) and PBW and Star-San.  I've got access to the dairy cleaner so why not?  Will remove beer stone if nothing else.

My fermentation area is getting a pool chlorine/water spray down (find it better than household bleach).
I'm gonna invest in some stainless to reduce the amount of buckets I have to move.  I'll be doing a modified gravity system with no pump. 

Thanks all for the comments and help.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »

Nice to know I'm with good company on this one:)
+1.  I use buckets and BBs exclusively (have for years) and make consistently clean beers.
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 11:21:02 pm »
Listen, I'm trying to convince the wife that I need to spend some big bucks on stainless here. Don't go screwing it up with facts and reality.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:36 am »
'Tis easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:55 am »

Well, if he switched to glass and the issue went away, then I'd say he made the right choice. I don't like plastic either, not just in brewing, but with almost anything, like water bottles. I use them for tuperware, but I wish there was another option...there's glass, I suppose. A bit pricey though.

I've fermented in carboys for years, dig them. Just need to be careful handling them, but that's not difficult. I tried fermenting in kegs for a few batches, that was kinda cool, but I felt like the beer tasted a little different. Maybe because of the geometry of the fermenter and being under slightly more hydrostatic pressure? Also, they were more of a pain to clean out. But I guess I just do an over night soak with PBW for my carboys, so that's easy. Guess I could've done that when I fermented in kegs, too...

Joe, do you cold crash in your better bottles? That may be the one thing that holds me back from going to them; the negative pressure and the flexing when you move them around.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:06:55 am by beersk »
Jesse