Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High school brewing class  (Read 3962 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: High school brewing class
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:25 am »
I'm not a fan of one size fits all stuff. Some parents suck so all kids must... Applying that to the work place, some employees suck so everyone gets less pay. Its more difficult but good kids of good parents must be rewarded or else there's no incentive to be good and no cost to being bad.

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 10:40:19 am »
"In no way does this assignment promote the use of alcohol, but rather a deeper understanding of anaerobic respiration."  Well said.  My 15 year old son must have recently had a similar class and was asking me about yeast fermentation based on my brewing experience.  I think one of the interesting biology lessons here regards brewer's yeast's ability to take advantage of both aerobic and anaerobic environments - the first for cell reproduction (thus we aerate our wort to insure a robust yeast population), the second for the metabolism of carbohydrates.  This is good science, and should prompt kids to ask questions about the yeast's preferred "natural" (pre-beer/bread) environment.  That path should lead to interesting discussions.  So, yes, I would certainly support a bio class tour of a local brewery.
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:31 am »
I was at a pro-am competition last weekend and a local high school math teacher asked if I could/would be willing to speak to his class about practical application of mathematics to brewing processes. I'm certainly no math wiz but it would be fun.

ps- our cranberry kolsch tied for second place peoples choice!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified