Author Topic: Brewer Bio - David Scheil  (Read 1432 times)

Offline dls5492

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio - David Scheil
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

Who Are You:
David Scheil

Residence:
Cedar Falls, Iowa

Homebrew Club:
CRAZE (I am the current President)

I've been a homebrewer since:

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?
I was brewing my “Sturgis Falls Summer Ale” this June, as a matter of fact. I just got done sparging. But, I was still collecting my runnings. I collected 3.5 gallons so far. I needed to get to 6 gallons. I was moving my mash tun and it slipped and fell to the floor.

It was instantaneous, yet it happened in slow motion. Anyway, the grains and the hot water was all over the garage floor. After I got done swearing (sorry, Mom) for about ten seconds, I decided to make an emergency run to see my buddy, Tom, at the local Home Brew Shop. I got there , he was closed. But, he was still there. I explained to him what happened, and showed him the picture on my cell phone. I bought 5 pounds of dry malt extract. I returned and added 2.2 pounds of the DME, along with enough water to get to six gallons, I proceeded with the boil, as normal. But, my SG was 5 points higher than what I wanted. I used Beersmith to calculate that if I added 0.5 gallons of water to the secondary, the ABV will be at the level I want. Plus, I only lost about 1 IBU doing that. I took the beer to a club meeting and got good reviews. So, everything ended up all right.

What is your favorite style(s) to brew?
Steams and Lagers

What style(s) will you never brew?
Soul Ales (Just not into that beer, yet)

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?
Amber Ale. Not bad.

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?
See story above in Homebrew Disaster.

What is your favorite beer recipe?
Iowa Pre-prohibition Lager
6.5# pilsner malt
2# flaked corn
0.5 # carapils
0.25# 40L crystal malt
0.5 oz. Willamette Hops (60 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer Hops (10 min.)
WLP 800 Pilsner Yeast

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?
No

Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world?
I sent in my house Steam beer to be judged a few years ago. One judge wrote my beer was “too hoppy”. Another judge wrote “it wasn’t hoppy enough”. Same beer!!! Both judges are BJCP certified. So, my conclusion was it was just right.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? When collecting my runnings during the sparge, I heat it up so it is close to boil when I collected the full amount. It save about ½ hour in time. I pretty sure this idea did not originate with me.

Describe your brew system.

All grain gravity system, with a 15g home depot coolers used for a mash tun. It also has a 5 gallon cooler for a latern tun. I also have a sparge arm, a 10G kettle and Blichmann floor standing burner (awesome piece of equipment).

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?
1-2/month. But, I do most of my brewing in the spring and fall.

What is your favorite malt?  Why?
I never thought of having a favorite malt. I guess it would be the malt that gets me good beer. In other words, what is needed at the time!

What is your favorite hop? Why?
Nelson Sauvin – It provides a blood orange, piney flavor which I enjoy very much.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast?
WLP 810 San Francisco Lager Yeast – I can use it as both a lager or ale yeast with good results.

Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share?
Each year in late summer, our club serves our home brew at a barbeque event. As usual, my wife and I were there serving my Belgian Double. A woman, who I don’t know, loved that beer so much, she tried to pick me up. I was just dumb-founded. My wife, who was standing right next to me, was laughing her ass off. (For you all’s information, I love my wife very much and never even considered doing something like that.) This woman also wanted me to move into her basement and brew for her. I told her she couldn’t afford me. My wife thought the whole thing was hilarious.

What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?
The reason I got into brewing back in 1988 was the only beer available was Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. I thought, there’s got to be more than this!!!!

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? Gordon Strong. My beer is good enough to enjoy. But, I know he would give me honest, helpful tips to make it even better.

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?
Yes.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?
Bacon!

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?
Lord Rodney, the club mascot. (See picture, he is a stuff toy dog.)

Lord Rodney watching Dogtv and serving pretzels at Home Brew festival.

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?
Unfortunately, zero.

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?
I brew alone. But, I wouldn’t mind if people came over.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?
Outdoors- all grain. Indoors-extract.

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?

Kevin Bacon Porter (“Beer good. Bacon good. Putting the two together, the greatest move for the advancement of mankind ever. After one drink of this, you’ll be saying “thank you sir, may I have another!”)

James Super Bad Brown Ale

Scratch My Nut Brown Ale

Merry Effin Christmas Ale

Iowa Pre-Prohibition lager (favorite)

Another Good Home Brew Story:
My mom is a retired nurse. Plus, she just started to drink beer for the first time in my life (I am 50). She likes to read magazines about health and nursing. She recently was reading about the health benefits of hops. One of which is it helps prevent osteoporosis. She read that hops was prevalent in IPA’s. She asked me to bring her and IPA to try. So, she takes a sip and says “No wonder it’s good for you, it taste like medicine”. My IPA is now named “Taste Like Medicine IPA”.

Thank yoy for reading my bio. Glad to finally be a part of AHA!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:09:37 AM by dls5492 »
And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17
CRAZE

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio - David Scheil
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
Hey Dave!  Welcome to the AHA and to the best beer forum around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
Welcome!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »
Welcome Dave !   You came to the right place.
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
Thank you. I regret not joining sooner. Thanks for your kind words.
And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17
CRAZE

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »
Used to visit Cedar Falls every year for continuing ed. at UNI. Was always happy to find a few decent beers
there on tap at various establishments. Also, started brewing about the same time you did.

Lot's of nice folks in the part of the country. Enjoyed my trips there.

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing you post.
Cheers,
Diane

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline dls5492

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
Used to visit Cedar Falls every year for continuing ed. at UNI. Was always happy to find a few decent beers
there on tap at various establishments. Also, started brewing about the same time you did.

Lot's of nice folks in the part of the country. Enjoyed my trips there.

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing you post.
Cheers,
Diane
Thank you, Diane. I hope you can make it back to Cedar Falls. If you do, look us up. Our Home Brew club is terrific and the Craft Beer scene here is something we are proud of.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:01:36 PM by dls5492 »
CRAZE

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »
Thanks David. Not likely I'll visit though. I've retired now and moved from Minnesota to heaven out here in Oregon.

Glad to hear there's a good beer scene there though as I've left many thirsty friends behind who still probably attend the UNI conferences.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"