Author Topic: Brewer's Bio: Jason Johnson  (Read 835 times)

Offline Barleypopmaker_

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Barleypopmaker's Beer Blog
Brewer's Bio: Jason Johnson
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
Jason Johnson: Manitowoc, WI

Jason Johnson
Home Town (City, State):Manitowoc, WI
Homebrew Club: Manty Malters ( (www.mantymalters.org). I am the current "webmaster" and a past President. Also, I actually know Dave Taylor who I see is a few spots down)
I've been a homebrewer since:about 2000
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? I have not had any disasters, thankfully. But have have had many learning opportunities.  ;D
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? It changes over time. I used to be pretty big on brewing stouts, then American Styles. I have recently started brewing more wits and lagers lately.
What style(s) will you never brew? I can't say there is a style I will never brew, however I am not a huge fan of traditional rauchbier. I don't see myself brewing it anytime soon, however I have brewed a smoked IPA a few times in the past that turned out pretty good.
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? I honestly don't remember what the style was, but it was an extract with grains kit I purchased at a homebrew shop after my wife purchased my first homebrew kit. I believe it was an American Amber, but I'm not sure. It turned out good enough for me to continue brewing, and my friends didn't seem to take any issues with drinking it. So it was probably alright.
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? We did a club brew at my house that we ended up calling "Murphy's Law IPA" because anything that could go wrong with it, did. Everything from running out of propane during the boil, to missing a hose fitting for the chiller. All in all it should have been a disaster of a beer, but it turned out very decent and we ended up serving it at a local brewfest at our homebrew club's booth. The keg kicked sometime during the fest so it was enjoyed by many. Despite everything going wrong during the process.
What is your favorite beer recipe? Currently my favorite recipe is a witbier that I started brewing 2 years ago. I've brewed it several times since. My favorite part about the beer is that I use fresh zest from either clementines or Minneolas. I add the zest in the boil and I soak some zest in a good vodka and add the small amount of vodka at kegging.  It gives the beer a very bright citrus aroma, which is great in the summer.

48.8% Brewer's Malt (2-row) 1.8L
48.8% White Wheat
2.4% Acidulated Malt
1oz Palisade Hops (7.5% AA) (60 min boil)
.5oz Corriander Seed (5 min, boil)
.5 oz Orange Zest (5min, boil)
WLP410 Belgian Wit II (1000ml Starter)

Mixture of zest from 4 oranges, clemintines, or Mineolas as well as 1oz of crushed corriander seed placed in just enough quality vodka to cover all the zest. Let sit for 48 hours. You only add the vodka to the keg/bottling bucket. (added at bottling/kegging)

Process according to your equipment and your brewing process. I mash this beer at 152 with a single infustion mash. I ferment it in the mid to upper 60's.

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?I am a BJCP judge and currently have the rank of Certified. I just retook the tasting portion of the exam in October. I am shooting for the National rank right now. I have been a judge since 2006.
Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world? I do, but it is sort of one of those "you had to be there" moments, but it has become an inside joke with some of my fellow club members. The short of it, was I judging a large competition in Racine and got into a very heated argument while judging the Oktoberfest style with a non-bjcp judge. This beer was supposed to be a standard Oktoberfest, which is not supposed to have any hop aroma. This beer was about as hoppy as any good American Pale Ale, so I noted so and deducted points. The non-bjcp judge scored it in the mid-40's. During our discussion I refused to give it a high score because of the high amount of hops and the very caramel-like character. Fed up, the non-bjcp judge says to me, "Well, obviously you are not familiar with the American Oktoberfest style. This is a great example of that style." I told him we are judging Oktoberfest, and not any specialty category. I let him know he needs to look at the guidelines for what we are judging, no hop aroma. As he continued to argue and knock my judging knowledge about the American Oktoberfest style another judge got so fed up he asked for a taste to settle our dispute as I was obviously not getting through to him even though reading the guidelines to him. He simply said "way too hoppy, it's not to style", then he was also informed that he was wrong.
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? Up until recently I would say my counterflow chiller was the best gadget I made, but since I would say my pH meter has been the game changer.
Describe your brew system. The best breakdown can be found here if you are really interested. http://barleypopmaker.info/2013/12/07/how-i-brew/
 How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? I try to brew once a month during the spring/summer/fall. I close up my brewhouse for the winter because I have no running water out there. So at the end of my brewing seasion I tend to brew several times in October or November.
What is your favorite malt?  Why? I don't really have a favorite to brew with, but I love the flavor of Munich.
What is your favorite hop? Why? It's been Amarillo all the way for a few years. I find the citrusy aroma of that particular hop very pleasing, at times it even comes across slightly tropical for me. Especially when used in conjunction with wheat.
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? Since I brew a lot of American styles, I really like fermentus US-05 because it's a good quality yeast and cheaper then the liquid versions of the same strain. For lagers I like San Francisco lager yeast for its wide forgiving range and it tends to be a very good lager yeast for me.
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?Probably Dan Carey from New Glarus, simply because New Glarus is my favorite brewery and it would be an honor to share my best with him.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? Aloe Vera Juice
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? My youngest son's name is Stone....I hope he doesn't become an Arrogant Bastard.
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?I have not entered a lot of competitions, but I have 8 medals and ribbons. I always intend to enter more, but I'm usually a bit apprehensive about putting my kegged beer into bottles, it seems to lose a little bit when I do so. But I do have a beer gun now and I need to use it more often.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Generally I brew alone, it's my escape from the world...my zen I guess.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? A bit of both. I don't brew in the house, but I have room just off the side of my garage that I converted to a brewhouse.
List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? Being a Star Wars fan, I named a lot of beers after Star Wars themes. My favorites have been Skywalker's Legacy for an American Pale Ale that always kicks out too quick, and Ithorian's Taint for a flanders red I brewed. The Emperor's Hand was an obscure Star Wars nod that I gave to the Smoked IPA I spoke of earlier.  Lately though, I just changed the name of my homebrew operation to Myfa King, and I don't have to put as much flair into the beer name. It's just Myfa King Winter Warmer or something like that.

As far as other interesting facts, I would say the thing I am most proud of is that I wrote a short book about home roasting grains and self-published it on Amazon. I have done a lot home roasting and experimentation with roasting grains. On my website it was the topic that was getting the most traffic by far, so I decided to take everything I learned and put it into a short book for others. It did fairly well and in the E-book section and went up to number 7 in the bestseller's section for beer. I thought that was neat. The book is called "Roasted: A Homebrewer's Guide to Home Roasting Grain" if anyone is interested.
I know you drank the beer, but did you experience it?

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer's Bio: Jason Johnson
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
Welcome Jason !
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
Good to see you here, man.  Cheers!
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Offline Barleypopmaker_

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Barleypopmaker's Beer Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
Yeah, I figured since I became a member last year I might as well pop in on the forums.
I know you drank the beer, but did you experience it?

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
Nice to meet ya!
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline dls5492

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
Jason,
I enjoyed reading your bio. Thanks for sharing.
And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17
CRAZE