Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping with T-45's  (Read 2670 times)

Offline singletrack brewer

• Cellarman
Dry Hopping with T-45's
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:53:05 am »
Hey everyone, I have a new pale conditioning in the FV and will be dry hopped early next week.  I've talked with the other brewer about getting the necessary hops shipped but am a tad concerned about the weather forecast potentially impacting transit and causing delays.  We do have a small supply of T-45s in the hop cooler and will use those if necessary.  Having never used T-45s for dry hopping and given that they are twice as potent as T-90s should I cut the dry hopping rate in half to keep the addition from overpowering the beer? Thanks for the assistance.
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Dry Hopping with T-45's
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:57:10 pm »
I have never used T45 pellets.

That said, I would expect it would take less to get the same impact than if you were using T90s.  Your best bet would be to guess and then taste it until you like it.

On the other hand, some people might like an overwhelming dry hop character in their pale ale.  It could be a hit.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:02:03 am »
Knowing our patrons they would definitely love a wickedly hoppy pale and I've got a recipe developed for that one later on.  I guess we will just have to take an educated guess and see if it works. By the way T-45s are great and I really wish they were available for homebrewers.
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:53:52 am »
Hey everyone, I have a new pale conditioning in the FV and will be dry hopped early next week.  I've talked with the other brewer about getting the necessary hops shipped but am a tad concerned about the weather forecast potentially impacting transit and causing delays.  We do have a small supply of T-45s in the hop cooler and will use those if necessary.  Having never used T-45s for dry hopping and given that they are twice as potent as T-90s should I cut the dry hopping rate in half to keep the addition from overpowering the beer? Thanks for the assistance.

Have you asked your hop supplier?  That's where I would start.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:31:02 am »

Have you asked your hop supplier?  That's where I would start.

I read this and just shook my head at my oversight on that.  Anyway, I'll do that and see what they recommend.  Thanks for that.
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co