General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Low Carbonation in Bottles

(1/4) > >>

hollnagel:
Hi There - I've been brewing all-grain for 8 months (12 batches - still a newbie), and last month we brewed an Irish Red.  This was our third time doing this recipe.  This time I'm getting little-to-no carbonation.  There was no difference in my process from previous batches (Wyeast #1084 less than 4 wks from mfg date; primary for 4 days, secondary for 10 days; OG/FG were good, 1.055/1.011; corn sugar at bottling for 2.3 vols carb; 2 weeks conditioning @ 70F and 1 week in fridge @ 45F).  Two issues / questions:
1) This time I noticed that the air-lock activity stopped day 7, and clarified long before bottling on day 14.  Never seen it go that fast before - any thoughts on why that happened?  How might this point to my problem?  Any solutions for next time this happens?
2) I put the bottles in the fridge last week without checking carb level (dumb idea.)  Would it help to return them to room temp for another week or so? 

klickitat jim:
It wouldn't hurt. Also how many have you opened? If just one, maybe you got a dud that didn't get much sugar. Its been a while since I've bottled but I usually give them four weeks at room temp.

HoosierBrew:
+1 to more time @ room temp.  When I bottled I always made sure they were carbed properly before I stuck them in the fridge. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

dmtaylor:
Bring back to room temperature for another week or two.  It will help also if a couple times a week you turn over each bottle a couple of times (but don't shake!) to get the yeast sediment back into solution so they can eat your priming sugar easier.  A couple more weeks at room temperature then and you should be alright.

piszkiewiczp:
All previous advice is good. Based on my prior errors, for future batches make sure the sugar solution mixes well in the bucket/carboy before bottling. Don't skimp on the water when dissolving the sugar.
I also use one plastic soda bottle that I squeeze the air out of before capping. When fully carbonated, it's hard and gives a satisfying BONG when tapped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version