Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inexpensive Fryer on Woot?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline 1beerbaron

• 1st Kit
Inexpensive Fryer on Woot?
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:10:27 am »
tools.woot.com has a turkey fryer setup today.  It's seems to be a good, not OMG!!! good, but a good price, from what I can tell.  My question is this: Should I go for this burner?  I've been wanting a Blichmann floor burner for a little while.  I haven't gotten one partially because I'm poor, partially because my gas stove just barely gets to a boil, and partially because there are a couple things I want more.

I've heard the Blichmann burners are worth the money.  I'm just wondering if I should jump on the burner on woot, since it's a deal (I'll need a second burner at some point anyway.  I doubt that I'll want to haul sparge water from the house for very long).  Currently though, there are a couple things I want more than a floor burner.  What do you guys think?  I'm just worried this is a better deal than I realize, and I should jump on it, then I can start boiling on a fryer earlier, and I'll have my second burner when I get a Blichmann.  Thanks guys.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Inexpensive Fryer on Woot?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:31:46 am »
8 gallon pot may be small if you are allgraining.  also im not 100% sure on the design of the burner stand.  i look at it and get an image of an accordion about to fold down as small as it can be.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:28:52 am »
I wouldn't be too worried about the stand design.  It looks like 1/4" bent steel which will more than handle the weight.

The 8 gallon pot would be tight for all grain brewing but people have said they get away with it.  I would be concerned about upgrading to a larger pot later because of the raised ring on the stand.  You would be limited to finding large capacity, narrow and tall pots if you wanted to upgrade.

Overall, it's a pretty good deal for extract brewers who want to move outside.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:05:05 am »
I started AG brewing with a turkey fryer setup with a 7.5 gal. pot.  It limited me to partial boils, which affected my efficiency, but made great beer.  Bit of a hassle, but no major issues.  When I got a bigger kettle, I started using the 7.5 gal. to heat water in, and still use it for that to this day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:15:13 am »
I still do all grain on my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer (not this exact one, but pretty close). I run off usually 6.5 gallons into the fryer pot, and then put about 1.5-2 gallons on the stove. I try to bring them both to a boil, and then mix them after I lose enough volume. My next purchase will be a 15g pot and Top Tier burner so I can do full boils, and then I will use the turkey fryer for heating boil/sparge water.