Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chest Freezer Brands  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Chest Freezer Brands
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
So im looking for a recommendation on chest freezer brands.  im in the market for a chest freezer to make into a conditioning fridge.  Currently i see a kenmore 14.8 cubic foot chest freezer for about 300 dollars but are they still a good brand?  Id rather not deal with service plans.  if anyone has any experience of opinion on a good brand of chest freezers that would be great.
Thanks,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Chest Freezer Brands
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:55:51 pm »
I think mine is a GE. I think in that price range they are all roughly the same quality

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:11:51 pm »
Well thats the problem is the kenmore is like 300 dollars but the GE, Frigidaire etc are all 450+ dollars.  the cheapness of the product makes me look harder at the negative reviews.  The model im looking at has 100+ reviews and averages 4.5 stars but i still look at the 7 crappy nightmare reviews and have a doubt.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:17:09 am »
Kenmore is made by different manufacturers and they all just put the Kenmore name on it. Like any other major appliance purchase; if you can get it from a reputable store (Sears, Home Depot, etc.) you've got the store standing behind that purchase. I personally tend toward Kenmore appliances.

My conditioning fridge, however,  is a Frigidaire upright (with no freezer compartment) that came from Sears and so far it is the only major appliance I've had a problem with, and Sears came back out within 2 days with a replacement (this was within 2 weeks of purchase). No problems since.

My fermeezer is a Kenmore chest unit (Sears) and has been plugging away faithfully for over a year now with nary a problem. The rest of my house (basement freezer, entire kitchen, etc.) is all Kenmore and thus far (several years) I've had no problems.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:40:13 am »
I've got a Kenmore 21ft3 chest freezer that I picked up at the Sears scratch and dent store for half price.  It was brand new.  It has a small dent (5" x 1/2" x 1/8") in the front sheet metal.  Totally harmless and irrelevant to the function.  This freezer is over 5 years old and works as well now as it did the day I bought it.

Check out Sears scratch & dent for deals.  There is a lot of turnover there, so stay after it for a while and you'll find something worthwhile.

I use one of these that I picked up on eBay to control the temperature:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:51:55 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:13 am »
I am also curious about this. I'm looking for a 20CF+ chest freezer for lagering/storage/serving. The idea being that I could serve from the chest freezer, through a nearby wall and into the bar/basement from a sub-basement. If that makes sense.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »
A friend of mine recently did a lot of research on this issue and he said that apparently all of the major brands have their parts provided to them by 2 major manufactures 1 is great the other is kinda iffy.  Frigidaire is one of the brands that buys from the better manufacturer.  Think im gonna grab one of these.
Frigidaire 14.8-cu ft Chest Freezer (White) ENERGY STAR
Item #: 8899 |  Model #: LFFN15M5HW
from lowes.  its on sale for 350 atm and if you have a lowes card you get an additional 5% off